Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 27, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange Roussollini?

Has anyone tried this one before?

I got it at MIgardner after watching one of his videos. It's a small tomato -- looks to be about 2 oz, and a beautiful dark red on a bush vine. The selling point to me is that it is supposedly very blight resistant (we'll see!). I'm going to start some today, and maybe I'll get a few before the end of the season. Only 10 seeds/pack, so I'll try to increase my seed supply.

Note: can't search this at TV -- says "Roussollini" is too long. Tat. has no info.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Has anyone tried this one before?

I got it at MIgardner after watching one of his videos. It's a small tomato -- looks to be about 2 oz, and a beautiful dark red on a bush vine. The selling point to me is that it is supposedly very blight resistant (we'll see!). I'm going to start some today, and maybe I'll get a few before the end of the season. Only 10 seeds/pack, so I'll try to increase my seed supply.

Note: can't search this at TV -- says "Roussollini" is too long. Tat. has no info.

-GG
My friend Google says this

https://www.google.com/search?q=oran...&bih=815&dpr=1

Be sure to check out the comments at Dave's Garden.

I looked at his picture of the fruits,which looked red to me,not orange, and with that wee protrusion at the blossom end and from Italy it sure looks like Roi Umberto, aka King Humbert, and there are several threads here at Tville about that topic already/

Also from Tania

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/King_Humbert

Lastly, you say it looks red,as it does to me but he says that it is oranage.

Carolyn, who, after reading about a few others here at Tville who have referred to him would proceed cautiously methinks.
Old May 27, 2018   #3
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I see what looks like two different tomatoes. (?) A deep red pointy 2 ounce saladette, and an orange-red cherry tomato. I've got the seeds planted, so hopefully I'll see in September. If it all "goes south," I've lost a few dollars. It is odd that an Orange Roussollini would be a deep red.

Edit: Thanks for the links, Carolyn. Looked at the info last night on my tablet, but gave up until I could use my computer this AM. The Dave's Garden review is interesting, but I'll reserve judgement until I see what I get from the seeds. The pics of Roi Humbert do look very similar, although the color (at least as shows up in the pics) is different.

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; May 28, 2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old May 28, 2018   #4
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

I watched the video awhile back.

Keep us up to date Greatgardens please.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Planted about two weeks ago, and have two plants with (almost) two full sets of true leaves. They will get transplanted and put in my cold frame today or tomorrow. Really tall, pretty narrow seedlings with a light green foliage. They look healthy, and were well fed, but they are lighter green than most that I grow. Another light green one this year was Geranium Kiss. Now that it is fully grown, it is a normal green.

-GG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orange Roussollini.jpg (71.1 KB, 90 views)
Old June 12, 2018   #6
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I tried it once but it got crossed or something as my plants look different than the ones in their video. There were some mixed review on it.

The fruit was very attractive similar looking to Pomodorino del Piennolo. But it wasn't resistant and the texture was very powdery, as bad as store bought.

I still give them benefit of the doubt, maybe I'll try again if more people get better results. I still support their business.

About that negative Davesgarden review. He sells the seeds for 99cents same as as everything else, so maybe there was a mistake in the seeds production, but I don't think he lied on purpose to sell it up otherwise the seeds would have cost more. I had so much success and able to start garden for other people thanks to his seeds price.

Last edited by maxjohnson; June 12, 2018 at 09:59 AM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018   #7
Hairy Moose Knuckles
Tomatovillian™

I found this discussion. Someone mentioned it about 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41239
Hairy Moose Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018   #8
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Well, the verdict is in -- what I got is a small (about 3/4" long by 1/2" wide) cherry type tomato that tastes exactly like a common large regular tomato. Nothing special IMO. Also, the plant was eaten alive by Septoria (and it was sprayed as the other plants).

This goes in the "do not plant again" box.

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; August 27, 2018 at 03:01 PM.