Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 10, 2006   #1
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Default SANTA SWEETS

(Posted this on DG but thought it might be of interest here.)

Do you want the REAL Santa Sweets from the Santa Sweet company? Hold on to your computer screens as you may fall out of your chair.

They are selling 10 (TEN!!!) seeds for $12.50
plus $6.95 for shipping
and $1.36 for tax
GRAND TOTAL $20.81 for 10 seeds

I can stand the (gulp) 12.50 for the seeds but the close to 7.00 bucks to ship 10 seeds really is beyond the pale. (OK they have to package and handle but $7.00???)

Ain't capitalism grand? Now for those of you who ask what idiot would order at that price even though they supposedly are running true from storebought tomatoes all I can say is I REALLY REALLY needed the real sweets for some Santa Sweet aficionados. Maybe I will have to sell 5 plants to offset the cost-ummm $10 bucks a plant???? Make it $9.99 sounds better.

http://www.santasweets.com/store-ite...06051511263376

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2006   #2
HeirloomNewb
Tomatovillian™

sounds like they know how many you would get off 10 plants and have charged you for all the trips you'd have made to the store.... that is very steep!
HeirloomNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2006   #3
landarc
Tomatovillian™

I wonder how prolific the plants are and if you can now sell them as Santa Sweets because you bought the seeds from them?

Also, I wonder what this means in terms of future seed availability, are they gonna become more available on the open market?

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2006   #4
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Going to the store, buying the pint for $2.50 for 50+ tomatoes (=.05 per/tomato), saving the seed (approx. 25 seeds per tomato = .002 cents per seed, 5 seeds = 1 cent), therefore 10 seeds will cost me 2 cents. Gee, wonder who I can market my seed to and realize a 625% profit??? There have got to be some suckers out there....
Old June 10, 2006   #5
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

At that price, every single one of them better germinate!
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2006   #6
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Actually now I am sorry I ordered them --I completely forgot they are the company with several lawsuits against them for worker safety violations. AND I am the one that posted the thread in Conversations about pesticide effects on their pickers AND i still didn't remember til later.

The plants won't be for me --I don't even like Santa Sweets and I was kidding about selling them. Or maybe I will keep one plant and distribute seeds. I guess I will rationalize by telling myself that it won't help if their business went bankrupt as they need to pay off the lawsuits.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2006   #7
Goddessemer6
Tomatovillian™

Last year Carolyn said that Santa Sweets come true 99% of the time despite being a hybrid, so I took my happy keister down to the store and bought a pack for $2.50 and now have several hundred seeds. I'm growing it currently but it still has green fruit on it, can't wait to see the taste comparison of home grown to store bought!

The beauty of being human is the ability to choose compassion over cruelty!
Goddessemer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2006   #8
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Yup
I did the same thing as Goddessemer6 did. 2 pints for $4. Have one growing now also, though I can't remember if it's one of the plants with blooms now or not.
Can share seeds with anyone that can't find the tomatoes in the store. I'll never use all that I've saved so far especially if the one growing produces well. :wink:
Cathy
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2006   #9
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I've tasted these for the first time today (store bought). I can only hope that if I decide to grow them that they taste a whole lot better than these!
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2006   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Let me add some information here.

It was Andrew Chu in FL who first made Santa F1 a household name as a so called grape tomato.

Santa F1 is bred by the Known-You Seed Co in Taiwan. Seeds for Santa F1 were not available after Andrew Chu was sued by the Procacci Bros, who almost ran him out of business, and who are the same folks who copied the variety Ugly by introducing Ugly Ripe, and then bought out the Ugly folks to eliminate the competition.

procaacci tied up seed sales with a deal with Known-You and no company registered in the US could sell those seeds but Tand M in England and others in Europe are still selling them/

But I digress.

It was Andrew Chu himself who told me that indeed Santa F1 was a hybrid, b'c that had been questioned, and said that of 100 F2 seeds saved from the hybrid that 99/100 come true. The off type is round and has a lower Brix concentration.

I now know folks on the F 6 and F7 of saved Santa F1 and the taste and production remains the same as the original hybrid.

I have never ever understood the popularity of so called grape tomatoes.