Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 8, 2006   #1
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Default Just for fun

I was wondering just for fun what tomato have you grown and have eatin that was the most ugly and most spit out of your mouth nasty and vice/versa which one was the most beautiful and tastiest that you would'nt even share it with your best friend !
Richard
Old July 8, 2006   #2
TheDens
Tomatovillian™

An unknown cherry I grew in a pot a few years ago. It was supposed to be Better Boy. Whatever that thing really was, it was so bitter and nasty I just absolutely could not eat it.
TheDens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2006   #3
Rena
Tomatovillian™

A yellow cherry called Oro. I think that is latin for something.. I need to look it up. I have let it go but a woman who works for me loves them! (Go figure)?? So she picks them for me I think Porter Cherry is beautiful like a pink pearl tomato but alas for me taste is ick. I would not spit it out but I won't eat another. Green Sausage not so good. I will have edit if I can think of more. The ones that stood out this particular year Orange Oxheart (that was a surprise as I do not hear much about it) Little lucky and the best of all time Green Giant.
EDIT Oro is Gold in Italian. So maybe that is also the Latin Translation.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2006   #4
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Ceylon was a cute ruffled fruit. Taste was Blech. Almost as bad was Catherine Simms, a large yellow cherry. Vintage Wine was like wine past its prime and was almost vinegar.

Early Girl was a surprise taste wise for me this year. It was quite tasty not what I had remembered. Sort of Acid with a good tang.

Michael
MikeInCypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2006   #5
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

I'd give the pretty to look at but nasty to eat award to....

Copia.

Gorgeous yellow/red striped globes but so sour I couldn't keep it in my mouth past one bite.
Old July 8, 2006   #6
nancysil
Tomatovillian™

Before I was into growing heirloom and better quality hybrids I picked up Sungold and Yellow pear to grow in pots. I'd say yellow pear was the worst (yeech, pfthhhp, gack) mealy, disgusting tomato I've tasted and there were lots of 'em. And sungold was the BEST.

Last year what I thought was Stump of The World was the best, but it shouldn't have been a regular leaf plant, so I don't know what the heck it REALLY was...but it was Deeelicious.
nancysil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2006   #7
Bryan24
Tomatovillian™

I dont think I've ever had a tomato (that we grew) that I didn't like. Some have been better suited to eating fresh than others. I'm not overly fond of eating Souix fresh, but it makes great sauce. And what was supposed to be Livingston Gold Ball has produced yellow balls that are perfect on pizza, and bi-colors that are the single best tasting tomato (eaten fresh) this year. Even Yellow Pear has it's uses. It makes nice gifts at work. They're so mellow, everyone just loves the comparison in a tomato salad.

There are some I wouldn't want to grow again, because they were more trouble than reward (Juliette comes to mind, BER). But, we tend to read those favorite/least favorite posts quite heavily, and don't usually try varieties that are generally concidered icky. So, I guess you could say we're cheating!

Thanks for all the Cliff Notes!!!

laurel-tx
Bryan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2006   #8
Denise_in_MI
Tomatovillian™

Actually the worst tomato was a few years ago when we tried our very first heirloom out of the garden. We had waited with anticipation because we had been slobbering over the computer reading the descriptions on the web. It was...Black Krim (believe it or not). Yucky tooey first fruit to ripen. Well fast forward a few days and our Black Krim's started tasting FANTASTIC. They are now a staple in our garden.

I still cringe when I have to take that first one off the vine remembering the first one we had tasted a few years ago.

I don't like Snow White either. I think it tastes overripe kinda rancid.

Nothing, so far, beats the taste of Brandywine (Sudduth). I'm hoping to get seeds for Earl's Faux to try next year (this is not a request yet).
Old July 9, 2006   #9
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Worst tasting: the F1 hybrid Granny Smith, hands down. The fruits never ripen and this variety was actually bred NOT to. The big box stores sold this last year to jump on the "other than red when ripe" bandwagon and there was no indication on the tag that they would stay hard and unripe until they rotted.

Best tasting: This is a tough one to answer.

I have lots of favorites but if I HAD to narrow it down, I'd say Cherokee Purple and Aunt Ruby's German Green. These two always do well for me. I've never seen ARGG develop the pink blush some see on the bottom when fully ripe, though.

Best Cherry: Three way tie between Black Cherry, Dr. Carolyn and SunGold F1.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2006   #10
geoguy_TN
Tomatovillian™

The most beautiful looking that I have grown was Elberta Girl - silver foliage, striped fruit. Only problem with it was that it was mealy and tasted so-so at its best and nasty at worst. Couldn't get over the mealy mouth feel. You could grow this one in your flower bed.
Old July 9, 2006   #11
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Green Zebra.....such a disgusting taste, we decided to never again grow open-pollinated/heirloom tomatoes.

But after a while, we changed our mind and forgave Carolyn for including it as a recommendation in her otherwise inspiring book.

Trust us.......it's bad, REAL bad.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2006   #12
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Considering I've tasted over 600 varieties there are surprisingly few that have been spitters. Two showed up last year - Copia and Vintage Wine. Just awful tasting tomatoes! Add Heterosis and Muchameil as two other pretty terrible varieties.

Looking back through my garden logs, others that would never be grown again on the basis of its taste: Baxter Bush Cherry, Fireball, Bellstar, Banana Legs, German Garden Time (an ivory colored variety, truly awful), Toesnfeldt, Micado Violettor, Elberta Girl, Magellan Burgess Purple, Perestroika and Sasha's Altai (two from High Altitude that got lots of hype, but were just plain terrible), Frank Williams, Hungarian, Packard, Ridge, Speakeasy, King George, Queen Mary, Essex Wonder, Early Ruby, Amber, Oak, Raspberry colored, Azure, Bulls Heart, Whittemore, and the inedible, hard, Kasachstan Grune Fleisch.

I am sure there are others, but that was just a quick scan of my grow logs.
Old July 9, 2006   #13
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Maybe it's just the soil or the year, the worst ones I've tasted were Ukranian pear, Pink Accordian, and Roman Streak - which is also the most beautiful tomato (group of tomatoes actually) I have ever seen. What a shocker. We sampled these at the 1st midwest tomato fest. Last year we didn't really have a truly awful one. A volunteer from Jet Star was really awful - so bad apparently, even the squirrels wouldn't take them. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2006   #14
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Worst -- BHN-444 and BHN-640. Blech! No wonder those two varieties are TSWV tolerant -- the thrips probably steer well clear of them!

Best/favorites -- Too many to list, though I could maybe see fightin' someone for a Prue or a Gary O'Sena. Or maybe an Aunt Gert or a Cherokee Green, or a Carbon, or, or ...
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2006   #15
melody
Tomatovillian™

Black Plum was the worst for me...'plum nasty'...other than that one, some have been bland..Taxi..and Yellow Pear

Favorites are Cherokee Purple, Wes, and Jaune Flammee.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote