Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2006   #1
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Default A zebra of a different color? (pics)

I planted four Green Zebras. Now they are setting fruit. but one of them is very different, while leaves are more or less the same, the fruits are twice the size and do not have the typical zebra look.

I don't think this is a mutation.

I know that I didn't make a mistake in planting them. How often do seed companies make mistakes?

dcarch

dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2006   #2
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

I think there's a children's book called, A Zebra With No Stripes. Reminds me of this.

EDIT:

The Zebra with No Stripes
by Jerry E. Knopf

Faasha is an unusual zebra. Born without stripes, she is all a pure white. Because she has no stripes, all the jungle animals make fun of her. One day, her bravery and courage are tested and something wondorous happens to her!

Hopefully the other tomatoes won't make fun of these.
Old July 11, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I know that I didn't make a mistake in planting them. How often do seed companies make mistakes?

I'm not so sure it's a mistake on the part of a seed company.

Have you read the thread here on Indian Stripe relative to stripes being present or not being present?

And have you looked at the TGS offering for Big Zebra, which was found in a field of Green Zebra being grown for seed?

All I'm saying is that there already is a much larger Green Zebra, introduced by TGS which is much larger than GZ, and there alreadty is precedence for certain varieties to have, or not have stripes.
Old July 11, 2006   #4
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

giardiniere
"A zebra With No Stripes" Interesting story. I guess it's kind of like "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer". Happy ending.

carolyn137,
Fascinating response. I can't wait till I get some ripe ones from this plant! I promise I will be patient to take some pictures before I eat it. I will keep you post.

Thanks

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote