Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 12, 2006   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default Krasnodar Titans RL or PL

I'm growing one this year and have noticed that the leaves look like almost a cross between PL and RL - somewhat elongated. Large, healthy plant just beginning to flower. Anyone growing this and notice the leaves? Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2006   #2
Tania
Tomatovillian™

It is RL in my garden, and the plant looks quite compact so far (just started setting first fruits)

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

It is a compact indet but when I first grew it I too was confused by the foliage. I finally decided RL.

The fruits of this variety have the thickest walls of any variety I've ever grown and the fruits are almost indestructible in that regard.

This is not a variety I'd grow for fresh eating and said so in my SSE listing. Perhaps the best use would be for canning.

My seeds were from Mariana Belfer who made the seeds available and while initially she thought the taste was great as grown in her NYC garden, she didn't have the same opinion the second time.

This is the variety made available thru Mother Earth News for, at least to me, a rather steep price. The offering was facilitated by Brook Elliot who knew Mariana from a website, for those of you who know him.

Mariana got the seeds from Lubov Koniva, NY, who got them from her daughter who lives in the Krasnodor region of Russia.

And I'd be curious to know what others think of this variety. I already know what the few other SSE members who list it think of it.
Old July 15, 2006   #4
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Here is the picture of the Krasnodor Titan's plant - it is distinctly RL.

I believe the seeds I am growing came originally from Carolyn

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I should have mentioned that the reason I really was a bit unsure about leaf form was b'c that's the year Charlie used an herbicide on both his and my tomatoes and there was some leaf deformities, that's for sure. The plants ended up being fine but it was a problem with a couple of new varieties I was growing, such as this one, to be absolutely confident about leaf form.

And I haven't grown KT again to recheck.