Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 12, 2016   #1531
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Marsha,

I'm going to make the home made ketchup some time between now and Monday.... :-)

Do any of you have a good oven drying tomato recipe? Dehydrator is at home. Kay i dont have the smoker yet, going to get one when we get home but wanted to try drying some. I have lots of Costoluto Genovese and I think that one is supposed to be good for drying. Will have to double check.

My tomatoes are ripening and I have a new food mill and the canning bug... Yay!

Ginny
I love canning. It's so satisfying hearing that little "plink" as the vacuum forms.
I dont have an oven drying recipe, but there are great recipes for oven roasted tomato sauce, which you then put in the food mill to get rid of the skins. So yummy. I think this website even has a few.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #1532
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Oh that reminds me.... my husband loves to grill and he likes helping with the canning too. Hes going to roast/char the tomatoes and peppers on the grill so we will be making some fire roasted salsa and sauce this time. We are going to use the same recipes as before but roast the tomatoes (and peppers) instead of boiling or freezing to get the skin off.

Yeah, I know there are so many recipes when googling but the tomatoes are hard to come by so I feel better sticking with recipes recommended by someone who has tried them and thinks they are really good.

I saw something called asparagus bundles on a cooking show and they looked good so I googled the recipe and made them and UGH... lol. Dont want that with the tomatoes.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #1533
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, this is one I made before with great success.

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com...ato-sauce.html
Old August 12, 2016   #1534
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Ginny, this is one I made before with great success.

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com...ato-sauce.html
Ooh I could almost smell it when I read the recipe and looked at the pictures.

Yum!!

Thanks Marsha

Ginny
Old August 12, 2016   #1535
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have been putting titles on the important how to and antifungal preventive stuff, to make it easier to find.
I guess it's fine with me if y'all want to start a new Florida thread. I'll go with the flow.
Marsha, if you do start new one, please post here its name.

P.S.
It is 93 right now in NJ and feels like 103°. I am going to Pompano Beach, FL where it is 85 and feels like 91°. Much better. We are in day 2 of another hot spell, they predicting 5 days in a row. We have Excessive Heat Warning. The temperature is still rising.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”

Last edited by efisakov; August 12, 2016 at 03:16 PM.
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #1536
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Marsha, if you do start new one, please post here its name.

P.S.
It is 93 right now in NJ and feels like 103°. I am going to Pompano Beach, FL where it is 85 and feels like 91°. Much better. We are in day 2 of another hot spell, they predicting 5 days in a row. We have Excessive Heat Warning. The temperature is still rising.
Oh Ella! That sounds awful! It's plenty hot here too. I can't stand to go out in the middle of the day. Not until at least 5:30 pm, and not after 9:30 am.
Old August 12, 2016   #1537
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Hey neighbor! Hope all is well. Rain buckets are full!!! Thanks again for all the summer mangoes.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #1538
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
Hey neighbor! Hope all is well. Rain buckets are full!!! Thanks again for all the summer mangoes.
Hi yourself neighbor! I am happy for you that the rain barrels got filled. Kinda nice to have a not very rainy day today, for a change. I am glad you enjoyed the mangoes. Your spinach was to die for. I have Aker's West Virginia on my grow list. Thank you for the seeds.
Old August 12, 2016   #1539
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

It is 95 right now and feels like 105°.

Was that spinach dehydrated? I read somewhere that it can be and the taste is awesome, nutty.
We have old dehydrated and it is time to get new. Excalibur seems to be the best brand. My DH even wants to get 2. One for tomatoes and a second for fish jerkies.

Last edited by efisakov; August 12, 2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old August 12, 2016   #1540
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Fish Jerkies? I learn something new here every day. Nobody I know back at the fish camp has made fish jerky. Is it delicious? What fish makes good jerky?

Also, it is about the same here... feels like 107 they said. I am inside so I will take their word for it.

I am going to miss my Philly Garden but will be happy to get home...

Ginny
Old August 12, 2016   #1541
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, what a beautiful harvest.

Old August 12, 2016   #1542
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I would like to make some additional comments about searching tomatoville for posts previously read and found to be valuable but are later difficult to find. Marsha indicated that she uses tiles to note things of interest. I’m guessing this is Win 10 tiles. I’m sure many are quite familiar with using Bookmarks offered on all major browsers used in Windows. This is probably the most common way to organize links back to things one has found of interest on the web. Bookmarks allow one to organize links in a hierarchical manor if that is your choice. For instance I have a bookmark titled Gardens and within that I have 24 major gardening topics, one of which is Tomatoes and within that I have numerous sub category or bookmarks such as diseases, soil medium, varieties, etc.
If you currently not using a method of saving links to things you find interesting on the web I urge you to give Bookmarks a try. I think you will like what you find.
I have bookmarked many posts in Tomatoville that I thought would be later useful. In fact I have bookmarked quite a few posts made by my fellow Floridian gardeners.
Also, I would like to repeat my belief that dropping this thread and starting another does very little to make the thread more searchable, in fact one could end up having to attempt to search 2 threads. Also, discontinuing the current thread risks leaving some readers and posters behind. They no longer get email alerts on activity in the old thread and never try to find out why and never return to read or post again. This could include potential posts, that we all value, from some of Tomatoville’s very knowledgeable gardeners.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; August 12, 2016 at 09:36 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #1543
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It is 95 right now and feels like 105°.

Was that spinach dehydrated? I read somewhere that it can be and the taste is awesome, nutty.
We have old dehydrated and it is time to get new. Excalibur seems to be the best brand. My DH even wants to get 2. One for tomatoes and a second for fish jerkies.
Mine is a 9 tray Excalibur and I love it.
Old August 13, 2016   #1544
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mine is a 9 tray Excalibur and I love it.
I would have got it already, but they do not have it in store. Have to order on line only.

Old August 13, 2016   #1545
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ginny, what a beautiful harvest.
Thank you Ella. It's been very interesting and enjoyable to have the opportunity to grow these in such a different environment.

Ginny