Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 20, 2018   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Facebook shaming better (and faster) than a cease and desist letter?
Two wrongs don't make a right. It is possible to construct a shaming post with neutral enough wording to convey the intended point without crossing the (gray and fuzzy) line into libel, but it's not likely, especially when you are angry.

And I think that's a good example of something that would be justified in a moral/ethical perspective in most peoples' minds, mine included, but the law never has a 'well they deserved it' perspective. You are always supposed to come to the court for relief instead of taking matters into your own hands.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #17
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, but if everything I said is true (and verifiable), why should I not state as much.

Isn't that what legitimizes Yelp reviews etc?

You aren't implying that my stating what they were doing was libel, are you?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #18
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Next time a Silicon Valley type offers his assistance, you could ask for a bot dedicated to scouring for your trademark names.

In the meantime, we'll be your bots. If we see your intellectual property being used, we'll give you a heads up.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #19
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Gerardo.

I usually find these kinds of things funny, and I don't even try to correct them.

What got me riled this time is that this is a huge company, and I very nicely asked them to stop using our farm to sell produce 3 years ago. What they did was really beyond the pale, in terms of dishonesty.

With regard to Silicon Valley types -- They don't want to offer assistance, they want to buy small hobby farms and ★★★★ away their money, all the while undercutting prices on boutique produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Next time a Silicon Valley type offers his assistance, you could ask for a bot dedicated to scouring for your trademark names.

In the meantime, we'll be your bots. If we see your intellectual property being used, we'll give you a heads up.

Last edited by Fred Hempel; February 20, 2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old February 20, 2018   #20
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

It would be wise to periodically check that company's website to see if they start using your farm's name again. If they did it twice before, they're likely to do it a third time.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #21
bower
Tomatovillian™

Truly shameless. I'm glad the facebook gottem this time... Cease and desist letter may have a more permanent effect. It would constitute grounds for you to take legal action if they repeat it once again. You don't need a lawyer to write one, but read up online for the correct way to diy. Not sure if the same as a "demand" letter where certain legal oddities are required - the words "Without Prejudice" have to appear on the page as well as the word "demand" in the letter itself, otherwise it will not hold water.
And then again, unless they can be proven to have damaged you in a way that is quantifiable ($$), you would probably never take them to court at great expense for nothing.
So maybe Facebook shaming is indeed the best way.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Interesting, but if everything I said is true (and verifiable), why should I not state as much.

Isn't that what legitimizes Yelp reviews etc?

You aren't implying that my stating what they were doing was libel, are you?
Good question. Truth is a defense, which most people know, but the problem is that it is an affirmative defense. That means when you make that claim, the burden of proof shifts to you, That tiny detail makes all the difference, as it puts you, the defendant, in the position of having to prove your innocence, which is usually virtually impossible, and almost always cost-prohibitive as a legal strategy.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2018   #23
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Good question. Truth is a defense, which most people know, but the problem is that it is an affirmative defense. That means when you make that claim, the burden of proof shifts to you, That tiny detail makes all the difference, as it puts you, the defendant, in the position of having to prove your innocence, which is usually virtually impossible, and almost always cost-prohibitive as a legal strategy.
Old February 21, 2018   #24
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Well amidst all the negative in this, and I would be angry too, I must say, Kudos to that Chef. I hope you asked him/her where they cook so you can also give a recommendation to anyone interested in where they can find true farm to table food by a Chef who verifies the information personally. It also goes to show you that there are some out there trying to do it right, and they are worth supporting.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2018   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Send them a bill for the stuff they claim to have used from your farm.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2018   #26
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

This Chef that showed up...did you tell him to go tell the other chefs what happened here today?
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2023   #27
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

Fred, that must be infuriating. I have been absent from this site for a couple years, but your posts have brought me across the country to the southwest tip of Oregon in the Siskiyou National Forest. I missed the mailing, and have 60 plants in the ground including your famous Orange Jazz. I have 2.5 acre plot with a semi established orchard. Thank you for all the knowledge and wit you bring to this board.
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2023   #28
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyhat View Post
Fred, that must be infuriating. I have been absent from this site for a couple years, but your posts have brought me across the country to the southwest tip of Oregon in the Siskiyou National Forest. I missed the mailing, and have 60 plants in the ground including your famous Orange Jazz. I have 2.5 acre plot with a semi established orchard. Thank you for all the knowledge and wit you bring to this board.
Thanks Johnny

This is stuff I don't sweat anymore.
Old August 10, 2023   #29
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyhat View Post
I too have learned from Fred and Dr. Carolyn and Others, just by reading their posts. We the 'Small Farmers" are Blessed by Tomatomoville Professionals over the years, Amen!!!!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote