Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old July 14, 2017   #3646
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I don't think I have seen any pork franks for a long time. Ball Park used to have a 100% pork frank but I don't see that on their website during my search.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #3647
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I always used to smile when I saw Hamburger Helper, not with scorn, but because that company acted like it was a new thing. Before HH, they were called casseroles, before that Hotdish and probably something before that, LOL.
LOL, so true.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #3648
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I always used to smile when I saw Hamburger Helper, not with scorn, but because that company acted like it was a new thing. Before HH, they were called casseroles, before that Hotdish and probably something before that, LOL.
Hamburger helper and soup starter were my staples when I worked in the oilfields.
It wasn't like I could go to the store after work and we worked 24 7.
Then I met a mans wife I could trust and she would go grocery shopping for me and deliver it to my house while I was at work.
After all these years I remember her name, it was Beth.
Here husband was a piece of alcoholic garbage, she deserved better and left him.
One time Beth knocked on my door and brought me Christmas dinner.
I was like 15 years younger so she must have been around 35 at the time.
Worth
Worth1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #3649
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Ball Park (various animal parts) are the only franks my wife will eat. I like J C Potter hot links. We only have franks every 4-6 weeks or so.

I put an Angus Chuck roast in the crock pot this morning with a bunch of garlic, onion and carrots. New red potatoes will be added for the last hour. I am also letting some Rhodes dinner rolls rise and softening some butter. I'm already hungry.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #3650
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

I call it Hamburger Hurter
Old July 14, 2017   #3651
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Walmart has Prima Della lunch meats and cheeses. I'm not sure if it's just a local thing or not? Here you buy a pound of PD lunch meat and get a half pound of PD cheese for $9.00 total. It's a good deal for the hot summer months when you don't want to cook, but know you have to eat.
Old July 14, 2017   #3652
jillian
Tomatovillian™

We have Prima Della at our Walmart deli too. I agree, it's pretty good in summer when you just don't want to cook.

I love a good grilled hotdog, but only allow it twice a year max. Hebrew National only for me.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017   #3653
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

I have to admit I am a good cook, I cook inexpensively and have few complaints! Here is
my main trick: starve them, then make them wait way longer/later than normal then feed 'em...........
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017   #3654
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Walmart has Prima Della lunch meats and cheeses. I'm not sure if it's just a local thing or not? Here you buy a pound of PD lunch meat and get a half pound of PD cheese for $9.00 total. It's a good deal for the hot summer months when you don't want to cook, but know you have to eat.
In all honesty I dont see where $9.00 for a pound and a half of anything is cheap.
I get Bar S Cotto salami for $1.58 a pound and make a two slice plain sandwich for a week of lunches.
No cheese.
Including bread and mayo that makes my work lunch less than 50 cents day with water.
My wife always called me a skin flint.
But I am not a miser.
With the savings I can treat myself to a nice steak or even buy the nice Milwaukee power tool I was always wanting.
Here it is.
I love this thing and have needed one for a long time.
It is called a rotary hammer.
Old July 15, 2017   #3655
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Worth, you pinch pennies even more than I do when it comes to lunch food. I go all out and buy Oscar Mayer bologna or salami for 42 cents more per pound

Oscar Mayer bologna and salami went up to 2.25 at HEB, so I started buying it at Wally World where it's still $2.
Old July 15, 2017   #3656
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Worth, you pinch pennies even more than I do when it comes to lunch food. I go all out and buy Oscar Mayer bologna or salami for 42 cents more per pound

Oscar Mayer bologna and salami went up to 2.25 at HEB, so I started buying it at Wally World where it's still $2.

I Like Oscar Mayer products too I just wish they would get off the chicken kick.
I cant stand anything chicken or turkey I just hate the stuff even Bar S does it but at least they reflect the price.

Worth
Old July 15, 2017   #3657
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

I think we're stuck with chicken being in a lot of things we eat. Luckily, I like chicken and turkey, but Jan doesn't.
Old July 15, 2017   #3658
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like chicken and turkey too but not in my sausage or lunch meat.
Or hamburger or and or and or.
Worth
Old July 15, 2017   #3659
Compuaide
Tomatovillian™

Default Hots

When I lived upstate New York, Rochester area, I was introduced to Zweigle red and white hots. They didn't make an all-beef hot dog (they referred to them as 'Hots').

The white hot was :
The white hot is a variation on the hot dog found primarily in the Central New York and Western New York areas. It is composed of a combination of uncured and unsmoked pork, beef, and veal; the lack of smoking or curing allows the meat to retain a naturally white color.

I have got to tell ya, being brought up on NYC dogs and Coney Island dogs, these things were good eating. The red hots were great too but I really liked the white hots. Never thought that veal in a dog would be a good thing but I was wrong.

But then, in Rochester, one of the areas favorite places to eat was Nick Tahou's - home of the famous, "Garbage Plate". I kid you not. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4854514.html

Ralph
Compuaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017   #3660
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuaide View Post
When I lived upstate New York, Rochester area, I was introduced to Zweigle red and white hots. They didn't make an all-beef hot dog (they referred to them as 'Hots').

The white hot was :
The white hot is a variation on the hot dog found primarily in the Central New York and Western New York areas. It is composed of a combination of uncured and unsmoked pork, beef, and veal; the lack of smoking or curing allows the meat to retain a naturally white color.

I have got to tell ya, being brought up on NYC dogs and Coney Island dogs, these things were good eating. The red hots were great too but I really liked the white hots. Never thought that veal in a dog would be a good thing but I was wrong.

But then, in Rochester, one of the areas favorite places to eat was Nick Tahou's - home of the famous, "Garbage Plate". I kid you not. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4854514.html

Ralph
Ralph I have been told by many friends that lived in the area that the hots are to die for there.
Sadly we cant get them here.

Today I am having an old time favorite for me.
Hamburg steak.
Boiled okra.
Hand mashed potatoes with brown gravy.

Worth