Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 31, 2018   #1
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Default Nitrogen additive??

Once again I did not do a cover crop or add anything over the winter - matter o' fact, still got the cages up.

Thinking about adding Urea - but have never used before. + / -

How long does this stuff last in the soil for uptake?

Looking for a quick fix that doesn't attract rummaging animals and can make it through the growing season with one application.

I might add a layer of "super soil" (compost/dirt mix).........
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #2
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Have you considered using cotton seed meal? I have friends that swear by it. They till it in about this time of year to plant in March.

You should be able to get a 50# bag at any feed store, I think I paid $18.
https://www.bettervegetablegardening...seed-meal.html
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #3
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Have you considered using cotton seed meal? I have friends that swear by it. They till it in about this time of year to plant in March.

You should be able to get a 50# bag at any feed store, I think I paid $18.
https://www.bettervegetablegardening...seed-meal.html

I have used CSM before that I got in a 50# bag from farmer coop, but think that is a real small % of nitrogen comparatively speaking in relation to urea. It's hard for me to say how well the CSM worked, but the plants didn't die.

My soil test recommended Urea for nitrogen supplement. I am not opposed to another round of the CSM, but the plants weren't that super green color and topped out at 6 feet.

Got some time before April to throw some stuff down, so asking now. I've still got major cleanup in the garden from LY, but it's been rather cold here & windy, which makes me not want to get out there.
Old January 31, 2018   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ironite and 13-13-13.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #5
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I don't add any nitrogen to my own garden so I am no expert but I just recently read an article in Mother Earth News about nutrition in modern vegetables compared to those grown in past decades and they stated that modern commercial farmers add too much nitrogen to get quicker growth and that the plants put more into the leaves than the fruits leading to less nutrition and possibly flavor in the fruits.

Maybe having super green leaves is not something to strive for.

I did decide to try adding some blood meal last year around my tomatoes as a side dressing and I ended up having skunks digging up the area so I won't do that again.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #6
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Ironite and 13-13-13.
Worth

Thanks. I will check into that.
Old January 31, 2018   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Don't take what I say as gospel but it works for me.
Worth
Old January 31, 2018   #8
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I don't add any nitrogen to my own garden so I am no expert but I just recently read an article in Mother Earth News about nutrition in modern vegetables compared to those grown in past decades and they stated that modern commercial farmers add too much nitrogen to get quicker growth and that the plants put more into the leaves than the fruits leading to less nutrition and possibly flavor in the fruits.

Maybe having super green leaves is not something to strive for.

I did decide to try adding some blood meal last year around my tomatoes as a side dressing and I ended up having skunks digging up the area so I won't do that again.
Have tried blood meal on some potted plants, but my beagle mix hit all the spots too & BM was expensive - at least the stuff I used.

Not striving for "super green," but just a more healthy appearance. "Seemed" like the plants were more prone to disease and "ugliness" w/o the proper balanced diet. My soil test had over the top P & K, but was well below rec on N.

I don't have a huge field, just about 1500 sq ft. - mostly large raised beds on top of clay soil.
Old January 31, 2018   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Over the top p and k you might consider just urea nitrate that is all triple 13 has plus the other two.

Worth
Old January 31, 2018   #10
bower
Tomatovillian™

Nitrogen is generally the most soluble nutrient. That's why it has to be reapplied because high precip or watering will wash it out of the soil. The best things to apply in fall or winter are composts or compostable organic materials such as leaves, kelp or seed meals that break down rather slowly. They also condition your soil so that the fertilizer you apply in spring is more easily retained instead of washing out. Applying a very soluble nitrogen such as urea in the winter season would be a bit of a waste IMO, likely to run off and judgement call, depends on your situation if runoff is a contamination issue or whether you get enough precip to worry about that. Horse manure is something I would consider applying in fall and letting it rot and condition the soil for a few months before planting. By the time you plant though it would be a fairly neutral compost afaik, so you may still want to use another N source at planting time.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was looking at where he is at in Arkansas.
Plantin time is just around the corner.

Chicken guano would be a very good choice if done sparingly.
Old January 31, 2018   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

There you are... I knew someone down there would have a better idea of the 'when'. Also the warmer it is, the faster a fresh manure will break down and be safe for the plants. And the winter wet weather may be over for the year.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
There you are... I knew someone down there would have a better idea of the 'when'. Also the warmer it is, the faster a fresh manure will break down and be safe for the plants. And the winter wet weather may be over for the year.
Well I am one heck of a lot farther south than he is but I was raised in the same area he is now.
For some time 60 miles east of Springfield MO and across the border in Oklahoma in the .Ouachita mountains.

Worth
Old January 31, 2018   #14
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

You can sprinkle calcium nitrate around the plant and water it in every 3 weeks. It will make the plant lush green. Don't worry about too much nitrogen using CN, I had great results and mega yields. It works great on peppers too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160520_191909_1.jpg (99.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 20160520_192056_1.jpg (99.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 20160520_192036_1.jpg (88.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 20160625_140254.jpg (68.2 KB, 116 views)
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #15
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

you have a few of options if your wanting to stay "natural" and/or "organic"

http://www.7springsfarm.com/allganic...-15-0-2-50-lb/

http://www.7springsfarm.com/feather-meal-13-0-0-50-lb/

and then chicken manure is a good one as well. The pelleted works best. If you combine alfalfa pellets with chicken litter you will have all the nutrients you need.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote