Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 4, 2018   #1
rubbe87
Tomatovillian™

Default How Long Do Your Tomatoes Last Without Rotting?

I still have mine left from summer going to take some seeds from it tomorrow perhaps.

They may not be rotten but i would probably not eat them at this point not much water in them. They are from seeds i saved from kumato but i been growing them for a few years and they have changed in size like half the original size maybe more but they have very unusually strong skin that preserve them longer then normally possible. thesse in the pictures are probably 4 months old now.

Last edited by rubbe87; February 4, 2018 at 04:36 PM.
rubbe87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Rubbe, that's interesting! But why won't you eat them? The Italians rub the insides on bread at this stage.

You say the size has decreased over the years. Do you think the original was a hybrid?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Wow, Rubbe, that's interesting! But why won't you eat them? The Italians rub the insides on bread at this stage.

You say the size has decreased over the years. Do you think the original was a hybrid?

Nan
Kumato is a hybrid.

Worth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumato
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #4
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Black Krim has always been one of the better tasting, fairly early; and productive black tomatoes for me. Unfortunately, they could barely survive a night on the kitchen counter without becoming soft and watery. Carbon on the other hand has the same attributes, but can set on the counter for a few days and remain firm in texture. I don't like over ripe tomatoes because they seem to lose some of their acidity. I prefer acidic tomatoes.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

I often end up with some that dry up instead of rotting... pretty cool! But by that time I have so many already in the freezer, I usually just toss them out.
But quite late in the year, december or early january, it's not unusual I will take a chance on them, try a small bite and if they're not horrible they are quite good .. at least, tossed in an omelette they give a mighty 'fresh tomato' bite.
Smaller tomatoes are the ones that seem to be less inclined to rotting. Also some luck involved, because if something on the same vine got mouldy, forget it. The bad taste gets on all of them and the spores are just waiting for any weakness...

If you ever want to see a tomato rot before your eyes, grow Pink Berkeley Tie Dye. One minute perfect, the next minute they have melted!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #6
rubbe87
Tomatovillian™

I did take a taste yesterday stil tastes fine. Kumato is a hybrid �� but the taste is fine, othervise i would not save the seeds.
rubbe87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #7
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Post Office Spoonful currants keep perfectly for 2 weeks on the counter. I grew Keepsake (OP version of a long keeper) this year but only got to experiment with one tomato. That tomato kept about 6 weeks total on the kitchen table: 2 weeks green and 4 weeks ripe. (Taste did deteriorate, though.)

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I was lucky enough to grow out the Canadian sourced Kumato that first showed up years ago in the specialty tea party type markets here.Then those maters seem to come all from down south( yay nafta).We get a full shouldered green,nice mahogany colour,insides full even gel and seed distribution.After we pick them and use them for batting practice,they go on shelf and do last up to a month,amazing maters.Now TRADER JOES HAS HIS MONIKOR NAME ON KUMATOS IN A SLEEVE.From Mexico.Yay nafta
Old February 5, 2018   #9
LDiane

I'm still eating tomatoes. I didn't keep track of when I picked them, though probably
in October, as we had a couple of frosts (and some snow!) in November. I keep them
on trays in a cool room in the house.

Still good: Blue Ambrosia, Galina's Yellow, Geranium Kiss, Imur Prior Beta, Islandaise II,
Jasper, Myrium, Sweet Orange II, 42 Days.

These are not the "long-keeping" tomatoes that are picked unripe and then ripen sometime
much later. These are regular tomatoes that I was eating all summer.

Last edited by LDiane; February 5, 2018 at 04:57 PM.

Tags
rotting