Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 31, 2018   #46
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Very lush and green looking leaves, PlainJane!
Thanks! It’s me vs. the snails, lol.
Old January 1, 2019   #47
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Very little of my fall garden is doing well and I think it is the incessant and heavy rains we have been having. My raised beds are just sodden all the time now with no chance to dry out at all lately. Most of my plants are either tiny or slightly yellow so I am assuming it is the rain leaching away the nitrogen and potassium. After the best year ever for spring and summer growing it looks like I am facing my worst year ever for fall/winter growing. Just planted some Willet Wonder peas, some more carrots, set out my spinach and lettuce and started another few rows of mustard greens. I have some more broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower ready to set out but they aren't looking so hot due to the constant rain. I'm just hoping for some sun so the cups can dry out a bit and maybe the plants will perk up. I know if I wasn't using raised beds everything would have already died from drowing or been washed away; but since I do have raised beds I will keep trying.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2019   #48
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Very little of my fall garden is doing well and I think it is the incessant and heavy rains we have been having. My raised beds are just sodden all the time now with no chance to dry out at all lately. Most of my plants are either tiny or slightly yellow so I am assuming it is the rain leaching away the nitrogen and potassium. After the best year ever for spring and summer growing it looks like I am facing my worst year ever for fall/winter growing. Just planted some Willet Wonder peas, some more carrots, set out my spinach and lettuce and started another few rows of mustard greens. I have some more broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower ready to set out but they aren't looking so hot due to the constant rain. I'm just hoping for some sun so the cups can dry out a bit and maybe the plants will perk up. I know if I wasn't using raised beds everything would have already died from drowing or been washed away; but since I do have raised beds I will keep trying.

Bill
I’m fighting the same battle. I haven’t watered anything in the garden for 2 months; that’s a first. Yesterday was a miracle- 80 and sunny after the thick fog burned off. Today is supposed to be the same. Broccoli and cauliflower are just sitting there, not looking great. The mustard and arugula don’t seem to care so at least I have those. I brought the lettuce seedlings in a few times to dry them out over these last 6 weeks. I’m going to plant them out today.Peas are just ok when they are typically gang busters.
I sure hope this little warm weather wave reaches you!
Old January 3, 2019   #49
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
I’m fighting the same battle. I haven’t watered anything in the garden for 2 months; that’s a first. Yesterday was a miracle- 80 and sunny after the thick fog burned off. Today is supposed to be the same. Broccoli and cauliflower are just sitting there, not looking great. The mustard and arugula don’t seem to care so at least I have those. I brought the lettuce seedlings in a few times to dry them out over these last 6 weeks. I’m going to plant them out today.Peas are just ok when they are typically gang busters.
I sure hope this little warm weather wave reaches you!
The warm weather has already reached me with it at 77 today which is pretty warm for early January even down here. It has been pretty warm for a few weeks now with a few cold days thrown in but nothing severe. My cabbage seems to be doing alright along with my rutabagas; but my broccoli and cauliflower are already heading and some are through heading although some of the plants are tiny. I looked today at some of my 7 inch tall cauliflowers with one inch heads and small skinny broccoli with 2 inch heads. I think I am going to pull them all in a day or two and harvest what "little" I can and replant them and hope for better luck going forward.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2019   #50
PlainJane

Yes, 77 in January seems pretty warm for Alabama.
I got the latest cauliflower and lettuce seedlings planted out Tuesday. I’m still in a mini heat wave with 80s daytime and 60s at night. Tomorrow a front with rain is supposed to move through, and temps be lower over the weekend. There’s so much dew and humidity everything is sodden.

My first set of broccoli and cauliflower seem on the verge of heading. I’ll give them another week and see what happens. The first fava beans are starting to flower but they’ll probably be fine. The kohlrabi is all ok, as are the turnips.

My Pluots need 300 chill hours ... hope I get it.