Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old December 4, 2007   #1
Jeffery_Goss
Tomatovillian™

Default Physalis cross question

I was considering a project of crossing Physalis, but I wondered which species can cross. Can P. pruinosa cross with P. alkekengi, and can P. alkekengi cross with P. ixocarpa (syn. P. philadelphica)?
Jeffery_Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2007   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
I was considering a project of crossing Physalis, but I wondered which species can cross.
Can Physalis pruinosa cross with P. alkekengi, P. alkekengi cross with P. ixocarpa (syn. P. philadelphica)?
Jeffery,

I am probably not the right person to address your questions, but allow me to preface some of the background of those species.

· Physalis pruinosaStrawberry Groundcherry aka Husk Tomato Cape Gooseberry, Ground Cherry

P. alkekengi – Chinese Lantern, Bladder-cherry, Japanese Lantern, "winter-cherry",

· Physalis philadelphica (= P. ixocarpa) – Tomatillo[2], Mexican Groundcherry, Jamberry, Mexican Tomato, tomate de cáscara, tomate de fresadilla, tomate milpero, tomate verde

It may help to go to some hyperlinks for some updates on this subject:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/1492/tomatillo.html

http://www.seedtosupper.com/tomatillos.html

According to Suzanne Ashworth's "Seed to Seed", "all of the species of Phylsalis are perfect and self-pollinating. Tomatillo, P. ixocarpa, will not cross with any other Physalis species,"

Tomatillos rarely cross-pollinate, so plant as many varieties as you like.

My conclusions:
  • There is precious little breeding work done within the species let alone interspecific.
  • It is difficult to get basic cytogenetics info, (ploidy levels, etc).
  • Do the crossing yourself.
  • Having done that you may still not know if there are incompatibility issues or issues of your own incompetence.
  • Any positive results within a crossing regime should be a future topic.
  • I am of virtually little help.
  • I am not going to even try these potential hybrids.
Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2007   #3
Jeffery_Goss
Tomatovillian™

All right, then at least we know that tomatillos won't cross with anything else. So that part of the project is out.
Old December 5, 2007   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery_Goss View Post
All right, then at least we know that tomatillos won't cross with anything else. So that part of the project is out.
I'd suggest that you read the Purdue link that Tom gave above.

If you look below here on this page you'll find the Forum for Tomatillos and you'll see that I also posted that link.

What seems clear, although some might disagree ( see the Purdue link for self incompatibility) is that they are self infertile even though they have perfect blossoms.

But in the Purdue link look at the comments re other Physallis species being able to pollinate tomatillos.

Just curious, but what is your goal in trying such crosses?
Old January 5, 2008   #5
Jeffery_Goss
Tomatovillian™

To obtain something that is like a tomatillo, but a winter-hardy perennial.
Old May 25, 2009   #6
Frog
Tomatovillian™

I, Jeffery, have also oft thought of working on physalis, there are dozens of species, with varying form, growth habit and hardiness. My aim; to simply produce a cultivar that fruits more reliably outdoors in the UK. Preferably capable of overwintering as some ornamental garden species such as P. alkekengido can. I have previously grown scores of P. peruviana plants and then attempted to overwinter them, I had two plants that survived two winters. The top growth died of completely but regrowth occurred in spring from the stem base. I have maintained a seed stock from these plants, but the parents died off in their third winter.

I understand that research institutes have failed in the past to cross differnent physalis species, so perhaps I need to concentrate on selection and crossing lines within the same species. However physalis is not a major cash crop, so perhaps professional breeders have not invested much time.

It's a project on my list of to-dos, if I can squeeze it into my limited space, which is mostly earmarked for my tomato projects.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009   #7
Jeffery_Goss
Tomatovillian™

I wrote to Glenn Drowns and he thinks it is possible to perform the cross.