Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old July 13, 2010   #16
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Mecktom,

If you go to Home Depot or Lowes or Southern States you will find, in the garden section, 2 kinds of black plastic net. There is very fine netting to stop birds from eating berrys then their is less fine net that is specifically called deer net. It has square holes that are about a 1/2 an inch wide and the netting is thin enough that it is semi-invisible if you are looking from a distance.

It's great stuff but it should be supported on tall stakes with cable ties to be effective. In-other-words don't just toss it on top your plants. Also, you can break hand-sized holes in it to harvest your tomatoes.

I couldn't exist without the stuff!

Greg
Old July 13, 2010   #17
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflynn View Post
Tom,

With these temperatures I would think things are getting ripe faster but July 12th isn't that early. I think July the 25th seems to be a common mark for me.

Greg
hi greg,

some things have ripened ahead of time, like garlic has already been dug last saturday about 2 1/2 weeks early but at least 2 weeks early. sun gold is usually ripening about 7/9 to 7/14 and unless i grow azoychka it is always my 1st. all others typically ripen from about 7/15 to 7/25 but aunt gertie's gold is always late maybe 2+ weeks after the last variety to produce. now most plants have grown fast, but tomatoes seem to be about normal, however, since all but sun gold have not started i'm guessing they'll ripen as normal.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
Old July 13, 2010   #18
hank
Tomatovillian™

Ah, ripening times. Strawberrys opened 2weeks early June 10. Blueberries opened 2weeks early, June 20 and should have opened a week earlier. Cherries opened June 15, and should have opened a week earlier. This was very early, about a week, but so much advertising had already been sent out that he could not change the date. My brother Bill lost a lot of cherries. The apples are sizing up now which means either they will ripen in August (these are Sept. or Oct. apples) or they will be watermelons hanging from trees. As for my tomatoes, as usual, they will start in late August I guess. Hank
Old July 14, 2010   #19
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Hank,

Late August? That's late but it is right on time :-)

Greg
Old July 14, 2010   #20
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflynn View Post
Mecktom,

If you go to Home Depot or Lowes or Southern States you will find, in the garden section, 2 kinds of black plastic net. There is very fine netting to stop birds from eating berrys then their is less fine net that is specifically called deer net. It has square holes that are about a 1/2 an inch wide and the netting is thin enough that it is semi-invisible if you are looking from a distance.

It's great stuff but it should be supported on tall stakes with cable ties to be effective. In-other-words don't just toss it on top your plants. Also, you can break hand-sized holes in it to harvest your tomatoes.

I couldn't exist without the stuff!

Greg
Hmmmm, the "deer netting" I've seen is exactly the same as the "bird netting" just sold in different sizes: 7' X 100' as opposed to 14' X 14'

Anyway, I opted for a more satisfying method... baited electric fencing... will be setting it up VERY soon!
Old July 14, 2010   #21
hank
Tomatovillian™

Can relate with the satisfying thing. Greg, I may have exagerated the late August date. It's just so TICK TOCK TICK TOCk waiting for them maters to come around. Hank