Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 11, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Are there any *cherry* tomatoes resistant to Septoria?

Thus far, only a few tomatoes have been developed with "intermediate resistance" to Septoria. And there is only one cherry tomato I'm aware of that claims some resistance to Septoria -- Jasper (from Johnny's). Unfortunately for me, Jasper has really small 7-10 gm fruit. I like BIG cherry tomatoes. I've grown Jasper, and it's a good tomato, but trying to pick a zillion tiny tomatoes just leaves a big mess. Anyone aware of any available or in development?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2018   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

do you have a color preference? I grew honey delight from Burpees last year and again this year... both in the tunnel and outside...VERY nice plants both inside and out. large 1.8 oz tomatoes bright clear yellow. I love them. they are a hybrid and I pick up the seeds off the seed rack at the store. there are enough in a packet to last you years. ordering them costs way too much imo. their catalog prices are just ridiculous.
Old September 11, 2018   #3
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Sounds interesting, but does it have any resistance to Septoria? I do spray, but some resistance is helpful.
Old September 11, 2018   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know of any cherry or any other shape of tomatothat has what is called resistance to Septoria LeafSpot.

The operative word is tolerance,not resistance..That's a big difference.

Actually there was a small group here at Tville who volunteered to look into this several years ago and I know that Mark McCaslin and I think Bill Jeffers were part of this group.

Septoria Leaf Spot is fungal,so IMO the best way to go is to use products that can reduce the incidence and my choice would be Daconil,but I know others here use a few other products.

Carolyn
Old September 11, 2018   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

what I can tell you is that it was the last plant standing in the tunnel and in the garden last year. it once again is out growing everything else out there. I stacked another 5' cage on top of the first one and it continues to grow up the cage almost reaching the top of the second cage and its the 11th of Sept. most plants are looking spent and worthless at this point in the garden. it does have some brown specks and edges on the leaves but it is still producing fruit. as far as I know it wasn't sprayed much this year... maybe once or twice.
Old September 11, 2018   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Longevity is a really good trait. I'll keep that one in mind.

-GG
Old September 12, 2018   #7
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Didnt spray this year for a variety of reasons.
Sungold or sunsugar (not sure which or maybe both) are going strong.
All the rest of the tomatoes are flattened by septoria.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2018   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

sungold splits like crazy. tastes a wee bit better than sunsugar but sunsugar rarely split for me.
Old September 13, 2018   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

Sungold splits now and then through the season depending on weather, but despite Septoria and Early Blight, it produces like crazy from early to frost every year for me without any spraying so I'm never without tomatoes to fill my needs if I pick every day. It's the one tomato variety I would never want to be without. YMMV
kath
P.S. I grew 14 cherry tomato varieties this year and it's the only one still standing.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018   #10
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

In my septoria-ridden garden, Sungold, Dr. Carolyn, and Post Office Spoonful (probably too small for you) are still going strong.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018   #11
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Septoria is a four letter word. I'd eliminate from the Earth before I'd get rid of mosquitos, that's how much I hate it.

Sungold and Garnet have the most tolerance to it out of all the cherries I've grown, although Garnet can sometimes get gray mold. They'll still get septoria, but if diligent on pruning they'll look good. Even without pruning diseased leaves they'll keep producing as they grow quickly.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018   #12
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Interesting about Sungold and Septoria! I wonder if SunOrange also picked up that trait? I ordered Honey Delight today to try next season -- another "keeps on going" variety. Another early yellow container variety that was a big success for me this year was Patio Choice Yellow (AAS). It has large yellow sweet cherries (1 to 1-1/2" for me in a large basket, and about 20-24" tall).