Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old April 16, 2009   #1
mater-head
Tomatovillian™

Default bonfire in the garden?

Last spring I cut down a cedar tree that was next to my garden. Now that its dry enough to burn, would it be a bad thing to burn it up in the garden area? Would this help or hurt the soil?

Thanks

ooops, I should add that I plan on planting my garden in about 4 weeks. I havnt tilled anything up yet.

Last edited by mater-head; April 16, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
mater-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2009   #2
salix
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, would the ashes act like the charcoal for your own "terra preta" (a good thing) or would the natural cedar oil residue cause a problem? Is it a very large tree (lots of residue) or smallish? Can the ash be raked into one area only? Is there enough actual wood to be useful for firewood or carving? Sorry, not much help, am I?
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2009   #3
eddie46
Tomatovillian™

I have been told a hot fire kills the soil. It is sterilized and takes time to come back.

Ed
eddie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2009   #4
mater-head
Tomatovillian™

Well I guess I'll pass on the fire in the garden. better safe than sorry :-)
Old April 18, 2009   #5
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

We used fire for the lettuce beds and beet beds and such for years. It kills the weed seeds. Then we'd come back in and plant our lettuce and beet beds.
Then we switched over to methyl bromine or whatever it's called and gassed them because it was much easier. Now that's not an option so we were planning to burn a lettuce patch earlier on this spring. But it rained too much and we missed our window.
I'd not be as concerned about the burning, but I don't know about it being a cedar. They do put out a funky residue.
But your sinuses would be nice and clear I bet
Old April 18, 2009   #6
mater-head
Tomatovillian™

I was planning on setting anything of any size off to the side and just burn up the small branches. The last thing I wanna do is mess up the soil tho! Thanks :-)
Old April 18, 2009   #7
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

We built our house and I believe they burned the trees on my garden spot. The pH was way off. Way too alkaline. Has taken me three years to get something good to grow there. Lots of amending and such. Still don't see earthworms. I know mine is excessive but with all the problems I have had I am glad you have decided to not do it
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote