Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old July 29, 2008   #1
guile
Tomatovillian™

Default Fuzzy Peach vs Garden Peach

I recently got some seeds in a trade that were labeled fuzzy peach, i tried looking for this cultivar but cant find any info. do you think that these seeds are actualy garden peach or are they two diffrent cultivars ?
guile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2008   #2
Leroy
Tomatovillian™

I found a blurb here.

http://seedrack.com/10.html
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2008   #3
guile
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for taking the time to look. looks very interesting i am excited to grow this next year
Old July 30, 2008   #4
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

guile,

If you find that you like the peach type of tomato, let me know, and I could send you some Wapsipinicon Peach Tomatoes. The Wapsipinicon Peach Tomato was very good and very productive in my garden, even though it received only 60% sun.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2008   #5
guile
Tomatovillian™

Dean,

Sounds good to me im willing to try anything. i just wish i had a longer growing season so i could continue planting all of these other great cultivars.

Andrew
Old July 30, 2008   #6
dice
Tomatovillian™

Some good pictures of Garden Peach:

http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/index.php/Garden_Peach

(This sounds close to the Fuzzy Peach description at seedrack.)

And here is one of Wapsipinicon Peach:

http://sev.lternet.edu/~jnekola/Heir...sipiniconpeach

Looks like 3 names for the same tomato to me. Maybe Dean
can say whether the picture and Jeff Nekola's description
matches the Wapsipinicon Peach that he grew.
Old July 30, 2008   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

This one has a completely different origin from Garden Peach and as far as I can determine the folks at the link renamed it Fuzzy Peach for PR purposes and it is Garden Peach/
Old July 30, 2008   #8
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Dice, "Maybe Dean can say whether the picture and Jeff Nekola's description matches the Wapsipinicon Peach that he grew."

Dice's link for the Wapsipinicon Peach is a better picture of the tomatoes then the SSE picture, the SSE picture is a bit dreary.

Now the Garden Peach and the Wapsipinicon Peach look very similar and without having grown the Garden Peach I could not say that they are definitely different or not.

A couple of things I noted by comparing with what the Garden Peach website says, is that the Garden Peaches are a long keepers, where as my Wapsipinicon Peaches did not keep for more then a few days. A second difference is that Garden Peaches are mild in flavor, where as my Wapsipinicon Peaches had a stronger tomato flavor, then my Rutger tomatoes. Now those differences could be just two peoples different opinions.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2008   #9
guile
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

This one has a completely different origin from Garden Peach and as far as I can determine the folks at the link renamed it Fuzzy Peach for PR purposes and it is Garden Peach/

So if im reading this right carolyn you believe that the garden peach and the fuzzy peach are one in the same ?
Old August 1, 2008   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guile View Post
So if im reading this right carolyn you believe that the garden peach and the fuzzy peach are one in the same ?
Yes, that's what I'm suggesting.

I looked through the rest of the varieties listed at that site and it seems to me that Fuzzy Peach is just a slight renaming of Garden peach, which was also mentioned in the blurb for Fuzzy Peach.

There are several fruit named fuzzy varieties such as Garden Peach and Nectarine and Peach Blow Sutton come to mind. IN a good year they can be sweet and delicious but the same variety grown in successive years can vary widely and I think it's due to environmental influences. I find the same thing with the traditional gold/red bicolors.
Old August 2, 2008   #11
guile
Tomatovillian™

thanks for the info. ive heard before that organic material in the soil can really influence the flavor of the tomatoes. im thinking that this fall ill be planting a cover crop of red clover in my garden for next year and till it under when im ready to plant.
Old August 5, 2008   #12
bbb123
Tomatovillian™

I have garden peach growing also I'm anxious to try them!
Old August 18, 2008   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Dave posted:

I tend to think it was the other way around if anything carolyn.. i'd think the fuzzy peach was renamed garden peach.

Dave, I already said above that Fuzzy Peach was a renamed Garden Peach:

(This one has a completely different origin from Garden Peach and as far as I can determine the folks at the link renamed it Fuzzy Peach for PR purposes and it is Garden Peach/)
Old August 26, 2008   #14
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

We had a Wapsi Peach (Wapsipinicon is the full name, but people near the River of the same name just call it the Wapsi) at the Mid-West Fest and it would have won for the cutest tomato on the table. Flavor was pleasing, a little sweet, a little tart. The size was in the 6 to 8 oz. range and just as fuzzy as a peach and did look just like a ripe peach. Thanks to Kent and Kathy of Wahoo.
Old November 9, 2008   #15
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

If the Wapsi Peach is in the 6-8 oz range, it's not the same as the "Garden Peach" I've been growing for several years. That only gets to about "2 bite" size, with most in only the "large cherry" 1-2 oz size.

I'm not sure where I got my original seed. Totally Tomatoes I think but I've been saving my own for several years.

Personally although I don't really like Red tomatoes and like yellow and Gold tomatoes, I thought the Garden Peach was too bland / mild. I also grow one called "Red Garden Peach". It's really a nice Pink /rosey color and has a better flavor to me. Both are very soft / tender tho and not good for a market gardener as they get too bruised by the time they get to market.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote