Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old November 6, 2015   #1
4season
Tomatovillian™

Default collecting leaves soon

We have had a couple of light frosts, but this morning it was 23. I have been waiting for leaf fall because I use bagged leaves as insulation on the sides of my leek beds and over the carrots. When all is frost protected I get more to shred and mix with coffee grounds for use as mulch in the spring. Never enough.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

4season, are you overwintering the leeks and carrots in the ground?
I was reading about your climate the other day, it sounds like a great place to garden.

We just had two nasty days with a couple of cm of snow on the ground, but expecting rain and 13 C tomorrow... and our leaves haven't fallen either. They are late this year and even clung on in all the wild wind the past two days. I had this silly idea that the birches at the end of my garden wiould conveniently drop their leaves onto my garlic beds. But luckily I got some grass clippings for that. Kelp is my favourite mulch, but as you said about the leaves, there's never enough for its many uses.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015   #3
4season
Tomatovillian™

Overwintering carrots in the ground, after a month or two the tops get kind of bad but the carrots themselves are OK. Its hard to say in the ground for leeks as most of the edible portion is above ground. I run a row of leaf bags down both sides of a leek bed and cover with a tarp. I may put loose leaves or straw under the tarp. Leek beds are 6 drip tapes 6 inches apart (15 cm) planted both sides.

Last edited by 4season; November 6, 2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: add info
Old November 6, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Reading this reminded me of a few years ago when I told my brother I needed the leaves he rakes up around his house. Before I started gardening, he used to burn the leaves in a huge pile/mound around 30' wide and 5' tall. He assured me that I wouldn't be able to use all his leaves in the garden. I used all of his leaves, the ones around our yard, and had to go find more. Since then, he just asks, "Where do you want them".

Something that comes in handy for moving a lot of leaves is those city garbage totes. I'm pretty sure they are called "Toters". They move a lot of leaves at a time.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Or you can use an old landscaper technique - rake them onto a tarp, gather up the four corners, and drag them to wherever you want them.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2015   #6
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

I started my leaf pile a couple of weeks ago. Right now it is about the size of two full size passenger vans. I will be adding more to it this week. There are a lot of oak leaves in it, so hopefully it will help to acidify it a little bit.
LeafPile2015.jpg
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Over the past couple of days, the oak leaves have really started falling fast. There's a cold front coming in the morning with 30+ mph winds. I will be collecting leaves soon so we can get to our car.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #8
4season
Tomatovillian™

We were out of town for a couple days, got back yesterday. Today there are bags of leaves on the curb and I see people raking. OK, only 1 kid but tomorrow is Saturday and I expect to collect 60 or 70 bags in my little pickup truck.