Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 6, 2017   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Done for now

Pretty much all my miscellaneous vegetables are done for now. I just pulled up all my squash which are still making and healthy; but we are just tired of them and they are taking over the garden. Each plant I pulled up was over 8 ft long and 6 or 7 feet across. I also pulled most of my cucumbers which are now showing definite signs of nematodes which were confirmed when I saw the roots. I left a couple of cantaloupe vines because there are still a couple of decent looking fruits nearly ready on them but we are also a little tired of them also. The trouble with cantaloupe is you make a ton of them all in a week or two and they don't keep. By the end of the weekend I should have a garden with only tomatoes and peppers in it which will simplify taking care of everything during the hottest months of the year.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We're down to peppers. I weeded today, and the plants actually look good even though they're only half as big as they should be.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #3
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I pulled the cantaloupes and cucumbers tonight. Updated my post about them in the TTF thread. I have a huge watermelon on my plant and discovered four more today that look like they are viable. I still have bell peppers, green beans and lots of herbs growing well. I might pull the green beans tomorrow as well.

Tomorrow I'll pull the Homestead Heritage tomato plant and save a couple of cuttings for new plants. I'll take some cuttings of the cherry tomatoes as well and try to get a few plants out of them to give away. The Roma's when pulled will never be in my garden again because that BER is not making me happy.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; July 6, 2017 at 10:00 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I pulled the cantaloupes and cucumbers tonight. Updated my post about them in the TTF thread. I have a huge watermelon on my plant and discovered four more today that look like they are viable. I still have bell peppers, green beans and lots of herbs growing well. I might pull the green beans tomorrow as well.

Tomorrow I'll pull the Homestead Heritage tomato plant and save a couple of cuttings for new plants. I'll take some cuttings of the cherry tomatoes as well and try to get a few plants out of them to give away. The Roma's when pulled will never be in my garden again because that BER is not making me happy.
I'm going a little off topic, but Bill is one I would ask about this anyway. For me this year - the cuttings are growing just fine. However the seeds I started in mid May are outgrowing the cuttings. The cuttings are planted in the same beds/s in what I think would be a better area. The cuttings are 5 plants growing in an area that is getting twice as much sun than the 10 I planted from seeds.

There are two things that might be making the difference. The cuttings may need some additional shade provided? -and/or- The cuttings did come from plants growing with RKN and Fusarium before the plants were showing signs of RKN and Fusarium. Maybe, the cuttings are weaker due to this?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #5
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

That is a very inquisitive thought Salt.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 6, 2017   #6
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

I think the answer is just as simple as plants grown from seeds have a better root structure
Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #7
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
I think the answer is just as simple as plants grown from seeds have a better root structure
Old chef
That makes alot of sense, thanks.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 7, 2017   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I left a couple of cantaloupe vines because there are still a couple of decent looking fruits nearly ready on them but we are also a little tired of them also. The trouble with cantaloupe is you make a ton of them all in a week or two and they don't keep.
I wish I had that problem! Mine don't ripen until late August, early September. I cut up the excess into ice cube sized chunks and freeze them for use in smoothies later on.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2017   #9
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Pulled the beans this morning, not happy with their production so decided not to feed or waste water on them anymore.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 7, 2017   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I love learning about the variety of growing conditions in different parts of the country. It's always fun to play the mental, "if I lived there" game.

Up here, we've barely gotten started. And there is no "done for now" for us, there's only "done until next year."
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2017   #11
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Soon as the sun goes down a bit I'm pulling the squash and zucchini and all the cucumber plants. My cukes were up on a tripod and loaded with blooms and the honey bees, actual honey bees worked them plants like crazy, then the rains destroyed everything and with the high temps, the plants look so bad. Gonna get them removed before they targets for more pests to feed on.

I too think about what it would be liek to move sometimes and grow in some of the areas folks here have that don't seem to have problems and beautiful plants. Only thing is I keep remembering what somebody once said, " The grass may seem greener on the other side, but it needs mowed too."

Yep, already looking forward to next season. Already have the head in catalogs.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2017   #12
peppero
Tomatovillian™

My tomatoes are doing well. Peppers are starting to produce. The squash and cucumbers produce lots of blooms and that is about all. Beans are doing very well and eggplant not as well. Garlic did very well.
All said, I am pleased.

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2017   #13
MdTNGrdner

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
The trouble with cantaloupe is you make a ton of them all in a week or two and they don't keep. By the end of the weekend I should have a garden with only tomatoes and peppers in it which will simplify taking care of everything during the hottest months of the year.

Bill
For me, it does feel good to clean up as the season progresses - even though we're still in full swing, here. Planted half the melon varieties this year as last because they don't keep, but if we get a good amount I may try freezing some, as DD mentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
Garlic did very well.

Jon

Jon, what kind of garlic are you growing? Hubby wants to try some this fall but I'm not sure which kind to get for this area. I guess I should look at SESE...
Old July 7, 2017   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

A lot of my tomato plants have gone down already to fusarium, and maybe a few to mold. I should really order some groundhog (daikon) radish and plant a cover crop. If I get it in early, they would get huge before they die in winter.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2017   #15
bower
Tomatovillian™

I just planted peas this morning, and carrots a couple days ago. Will be fall before I get them but there was no spring so..... what can you do.

We are actually having bean weather now and there is a chance that bush beans would get the weather they need to produce if planted right away... I am tempted to throw a few in just in case. Was at the farm today and saw a nice row of beans just started. They have squash planted and are all under row cover, no fruits expected for a while yet. Lots of lettuce, greens, dill, cilantro, spinach... tomatoes are setting but nothing ripe or close to ripe. I may get a few in my greenhouse starting mid July.

Garlic scapes are not out yet or just starting - I can see the first one in my patch.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote