Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 21, 2017   #1
charline
Tomatovillian™

Default Your biggest deception this year

What variety did you exspect a lot of and then you didnt like it?

I start with Janets Jacinthe Jewel.
I like most of Brads tomatoes but this one is nothing to brag about in my garden. Big and beautiful but no taste.

Same with Banded Amazon....
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Kazachka (mini beefsteak cherry) . I thought it was supposed to be a purple cherry, but I got a brown saladette with green stripes!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Kazachka (mini beefsteak cherry) . I thought it was supposed to be a purple cherry, but I got a brown saladette with green stripes!

Linda
Linda,what was your seed source for Kazachka, seeds to me from Andrey in Belarus. It can show up in many different forms but none of them is a brown saladette.

Actually it flips back and forth between a cherry form and a mini form,etc.

When I told Andrey what it was doing he said he was getting the same results.

I know the following link might help.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...light=kazachka

Carolyn
Old August 21, 2017   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn, I had read the link and learned that it didn't matter whether one planted the "cherry" or the "mini-beefsteak" as they flip flopped, but tasted good. My seeds came from Sandhill, via a friend. The ones that she grew (cherry version) turned out to be red plums

BTW I shared seeds in the winter with somebody here. I wonder how they turned out?

Linda
Old August 21, 2017   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

So far, for me it would have to be Gregori's Altai.

Based on reports I'd read here and elsewhere, I was expecting an early-ish, very tasty, good sized pink beefsteak. The plant piled on a bunch of very early fruit that quickly grew to full size, but then just hung there for about six weeks without even a hint of blushing. When they finally did start showing color, they went to a very pale pink stage, and then stayed there for another couple of weeks.

The first three that finally went to a deeper pink were almost sour/rotten tasting. When I tried one at the pale pink state, it was flavorless.

There are a couple more that are now going to deep pink, so I'll see if it has any redeeming qualities.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Thanks Carolyn, I had read the link and learned that it didn't matter whether one planted the "cherry" or the "mini-beefsteak" as they flip flopped, but tasted good. My seeds came from Sandhill, via a friend. The ones that she grew (cherry version) turned out to be red plums

BTW I shared seeds in the winter with somebody here. I wonder how they turned out?

Linda
If your seeds came from Sandhill via a friend, you probably didn't read the descriptions for two Kazachkas Glenn lists in his 2017 catalog , and in earlier catalogs as well, and also online at his website. i'll just have to copy what he wrote.

Kazachka Cherry, I use abbreviations so, mid season,indet, RL,pink colored to reddish bronze colored

Kazachka Cherry Purple,, mid season, indet, RL, a unique shade of purple/pink. Fruits are PLUM shaped but variable.

Given the not everyone sees colors the same way since it depends on the ratio and distribution of cones and rods in the retina,,and that colors can be influenced by weather in any growing season, I'm going to suggest that it's Kazachka Cherry Purple that your friend got since it's the one that has PLUM shapes that can be VARIABLE.

Carolyn
Old August 21, 2017   #7
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing that info Carolyn. There's a third Kazachka available at Sandhill, the mini-beefsteak variety! I must go and read what they say. I did check them out at the site in the winter but it must have escaped me that they are so different in colour! I went by Tania's description and expected a purple cherry, either beefsteak shape or round.

I saw a picture of the one my friend grew and it does fit the description of a purple/pink plum!

Linda
Old August 21, 2017   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Ha! I found it under RED tomatoes!

Kazachka Mini Beef:★ Mid-season, Determinate, Regular Leaf, thick foliage, medium sized, salad tomato.

Linda
Old August 21, 2017   #9
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Cosmonault Volkov - Taste was mediocre, most tomatoes were fairly small. Productive plants, but not much better than hybrid varieties.

Indian Stripe has been highly touted on this site, but I found the flavor not be that great. Would definitely grow Cherokee Purple and Black Krim over the Indian Stripe.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

brandy boy. totally disappointed in it.
Old August 21, 2017   #11
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

My Bosque Green Cherry is coming out like Carbon Copy...which isn't a bad thing in my book. Perhaps I messed up my seed sowing layout.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #12
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

A new yellow grape tomato, Golden Sweet. It is golden, for taste, think yellow pear. Still looking for good tasting grape varieties in different colors. I hate the cherries that crack at the first drop of rain.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #13
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Orange Strawberry and Brandymaster Red, both new to me, are both flavorless.
Another disappointment is an unexpected cross between Yellow Pear and either Tommy Toe or Black Cherry. The resulting fruit tastes way blander than Yellow Pear.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
brandy boy. totally disappointed in it.
I agree, but that might have been due to the leaffooted bug invasion - cousins of stink bugs that do the same type damage.

~~~

In 2014, 15, 16 it was black cherry, but again, it might be that they cannot take any RKN or Fusarium in the soil. I haven't had a Black Cherry plant grow enough to produce flowers much less tomatoes.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #15
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I agree, but that might have been due to the leaffooted bug invasion - cousins of stink bugs that do the same type damage.

~~~

In 2014, 15, 16 it was black cherry, but again, it might be that they cannot take any RKN or Fusarium in the soil. I haven't had a Black Cherry plant grow enough to produce flowers much less tomatoes.
it is a great juice tomato. not a nice slicer. it has a deep core, cracks and is not a decent slicer. most of it is wasted if you want to slice it for a sandwich. the flavor isn't want I was expecting either. I think it is boring. they really aren't marketable for me. most of them sit until they are about too ripe to sell then they either go to a friend who is on disability and she cooks them down and cans them or they go to the compost or chickens. I have about 12 plants and they really don't look like the advertised fruit. the pdf I read about them maybe from Penn state hyped them up really well. nicer than big dena. I will grow big dena for the whole row next year. no brandy boys.