Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 5, 2010   #1
azgirl
Tomatovillian™

Default How many to a 32 gal container?

I am planting my potato tubers today. I have a 32 gallon garbage can. How many seed potatoes should I use? One, two...??? (I know, I know...Arizona is starting to heat up, but I am sending to Flagstaff with my dad.)
Old April 5, 2010   #2
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Myself with a container that size I would plant 2. I've two 35 gallon containers both with two potatoes planted in them each, I was thinking of three but I rather have more room for them to stretch out.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2010   #3
azgirl
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Damon. I thought one was too few, but I wasn't sure how many was okay.

Do you have good results planting your potatoes this way?

Melissa
Old April 5, 2010   #4
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Melissa- My results are limited but yes I've grown them in containers and had decent success. I wish I could plant them in the ground but I have a small yard and my tomatoes and melons have seniority.

I like to use a combo of potting mix and mini pine or fir bark mulch for my potatoes in containers. I add some dolomite lime and use a liquid fert. like Miracle Grow 24-8-16 at half strength or Foilage Pro 9-3-6. I also make sure the containers and the potatoes in them dont get cooked by the sun. Because my containers are red in color, to protect them a bit I like to cut and empty potting soil bag long ways and tape it to the outside of the container so at least I have a white reflective barrier that will help with temps a bit. Good luck.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote