Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old February 2, 2011   #1
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Default Sprouts in storage.

I looked at my seed potatoes today and some have started sprouting (chitting) already. I have about 3 months before I can plant, by then they'll be useless.
Does anyone have an answer to slow them down? Colder storage maybe?
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2011   #2
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Colder storage might be do the trick, but you can grow the sprouts too, and then no disease issues either. Clip them a couple of inches away from the potato, root them in rooting hormone, then put them in pots.

I doubt you will get as good of yields, but if preserving a variety is the primary impetus it should work fine.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2011   #3
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I am actually in a similar situation with some unique potatoes I got originally from Tom Wagner, I saved tubers from 14 varieties for spring planting and I got 2 or 3 breaking dormancy now. I took a "cutting" to try to get plants indoors and maybe set tubers this spring. My idea is to plant those seed tubers later in the summer for late fall harvest thus having those break dormancy later next year. I think that info is valuable for people that can benefit short dormancy potatoes (Southern usa/tropics). We, the northeners need longer storageability.

What are the potatoes that are you growing beeman?