Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 26, 2017   #16
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Mine have been easy as pie, but I've never had issues with any peppers besides bells. Every seed I had germinated.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #17
MdTNGrdner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Hi BVV, I read about this pepper and was interested in it too. I just called Baker Creek and they have over 4000 packs. If you don't have time and there is significant interest, perhaps an alternative would be a group buy.

Before I get too far ahead it would be interesting to see how the pepper does over the season, and if there are any growers in the north that have experience with Ajvarski. Does this pepper require a long head start indoors to germinate? What was your germination rate. Please keep us posted on your harvesting.

Thx, Lisa

I grew it last year and it germinated better for me than most, but that's not saying much - so far I suck at growing peppers! Lol, my autocorrect just changed "germinated" to "terminated"!
Anyway I didn't get a lot off my two plants but they were my favorites for taste.
Old June 30, 2017   #18
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

My peppers are just fantastic. Never before I have grown them so well.
Good thing about peppers is that there is no definitive harvest time and they won't be spoiled like tomatoes. We have been eating them from very early on in salad, cooking. That is another plus with peppers. They don't have to get red/ripe to be picked and used.
The only ones so far that are behind in fruiting are Poblano and Bhut Jalokias.

For making powder I have lots n lots of Chinese 5 color, Numex Sunrise , Scotch Bonnet and Cayenne.And of course Alma Paprika. The Almas have now beautiful orange/red color and getting fully red.
I have no idea what to do with so much Jalapeno and Fresno. I 'll pickle some I guess.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2017   #19
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing one pepper, so it's isolated. It is an ornamental and edible sweet pepper, called "Sweet Pickle." It's adorable.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #20
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

For saving seed, the experts tell me to wait until the pepper is very overripe, break/cut it in half and let the seeds dry before removing them from the pepper.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #21
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

As a quasi-expert, I say "Humbug." Viable seeds can be had even in unripe peppers, and I see no need to wait until "overripe". Besides, "overripe" usually implies mold.

Letting the seeds dry in place has the benefits of being easier, and prevents knife nicks, but who has the space to dedicate for several days? And in some varieties the bulk of the seeds are on the cross walls.

My practice is to seed the peppers I use for eating (almost always ripe) and set the seeds and sometimes the cluster beneath the calyx aside for a day or two, then clean and bag. My germination rates are well over 90%.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #22
MdTNGrdner

That's just the question I came here to ask. I generally pick on the green side to eat, but if offering seeds for trade I think I should let them get ripe(r)?
So depending on how they do, I may have seeds for

Ajvarski
Anaheim
Corno di Toro (red)
Cubanelle
Friariello
Golden Treasure
Habanero
NuMex Big Jim
Poblano
Serrano
Sweet Banana
Tobasco
Wisconsin Lakes

Perhaps not "exotic" enough if people are looking for the unusual?
Old July 3, 2017   #23
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

There will be unripe seeds in unripe peppers. But there will be unripe seeds in over-ripe peppers, too. Just a better ratio.

I counter this when I select the seeds for sending or planting. Only the fattest, best colored seeds get the honor. Avoid seeds that are smaller than their cousins, and that have a dark germ. (The latter have likely been invaded by mold.)

- Will Rogers

Old July 3, 2017   #24
MdTNGrdner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
There will be unripe seeds in unripe peppers. But there will be unripe seeds in over-ripe peppers, too. Just a better ratio.

I counter this when I select the seeds for sending or planting. Only the fattest, best colored seeds get the honor. Avoid seeds that are smaller than their cousins, and that have a dark germ. (The latter have likely been invaded by mold.)
Thanks DM, I have seen mold before when cutting peppers; obviously no saving any seeds from those. Some of my saved seed in the past has germinated and some not, but I have a hard time with germinating peppers anyway. I'd like to share seeds, just don't want to give folks seeds that won't grow! I'll be sure to only save the ones as you describe, fatter and good color.
And thanks for the thread link to the food shows, I'll try to watch those tomorrow!
Old July 3, 2017   #25
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

No, no. You can save seeds from molded pods. The good ones will germinate still. In nature pods commonly mold and seeds have been built to survive it. OTOH, if you have the choice, it's easier to deal with the un-infested ones.

We can talk about germination issues (which might really be seed saving or selection issues) in a different thread. But do you select with a magnifying glass? Tells many tales.

BTW, Tormato is suggesting 10 count of seeds per bag. Most of the trades that I've participated in, the bag is 20 count, unless the seed is rare. 10 count should be fine for most purposes, but if you have doubts about viability, just jump up to 15 or 20 count, perhaps with a note to over-sow.

You'll enjoy the shows.

- Will Rogers

Old July 3, 2017   #26
MdTNGrdner

Very helpful info, and thanks again!
I have trouble with germinating even purchased pepper seeds, not just saved ones. I had thought to include extra seed and will be checking out a lot of pepper threads, meanwhile! Lots to learn, and you're right this isn't the thread for that.
Right now, frying up some Friariellos for a very late dinner.

Last edited by MdTNGrdner; July 3, 2017 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old August 16, 2017   #27
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

We can use this thread for peppers and all non-tomato seeds for the swap.

What I have harvested so far...

radish-

Candela Di Fuoco
Purple Plum

Some of these seeds likely are crossed with each other, so they will be available for the adventurous. Recommended isolation distances are 1/2 mile for radishes. My distance was 1/2 foot for planting the seed. Actual plants were entwined with each other.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #28
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I'm growing one pepper, so it's isolated. It is an ornamental and edible sweet pepper, called "Sweet Pickle." It's adorable.
It's not only cute to look at, but it good eating too. One of my favorites.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #29
MdTNGrdner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
We can use this thread for peppers and all non-tomato seeds for the swap.
So when sending in seeds, you want how many bags of beans, peppers, et al? I'm assuming the 10x10 tomatoes are enough to make you crazy - what would make your life easier with other categories? There are some beans and peas that I could easily send 10 bags of 100 seeds, but others only 3 bags of 30... any preference or is it a free for all and you just roll into a corner afterwards?

Making labels now, so excited!
Old August 24, 2017   #30
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I hope this is a good thread to raise this question. If not, I apologize. I received a packet of pepper seeds back in 2014 labeled "Sugar Pepper". I didn't grow it until this year, and germination was pretty poor, but I got one plant and it is fantastic. The peppers are big and blocky but also shaped similar to Hatch types with narrowed tips. The green fruit is sweet and no heat, but the flavor is superb. My question here is, what the heck is this pepper? I'd like to know anything anybody knows about Sugar Pepper. Thank you.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote