Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 6, 2017   #1
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherokee Lime

Thought I would post a couple of pics of the first two tomatoes from a plant I expected to be Cherokee Lime. The seeds came from Marsha and I hope she will see this post and can chime in. Is it possible for Cherokee Lime to have this much color? I picked these as soon as I saw a hint of pink on the blossom end and felt some softness. As they continued to color up on the counter I assumed it must be a cross, but thought I would get some opinions. Thanks, and thanks for all the seeds Marsha! (loving all of them, especially Rebel Alliance)...

20170705_110157.jpg

20170705_110133.jpg
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

In my yard it gets a little color in the heat but nothing like that. Have you caught any open yet? Are they still green flesh inside?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #3
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
In my yard it gets a little color in the heat but nothing like that. Have you caught any open yet? Are they still green flesh inside?
Not yet. Want to save some seed so I was letting them go a little longer. It's a good looking plant with lots more fruit to come. I'll take pics when I cut these two.
Old July 6, 2017   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I was told a week ago, that I might just have Cherokee Green, rather than the real Cherokee Lime, because the real CL has a clear epi, mine does get a bit of yellow, so probably a yellow epi. I think yours has more color due to the heat. I have to grow in the fall winter spring as you probably know.
A person who has true CL with totally clear epidermis is sending me seeds, so I will grow it out this winter.

So folks, what I gave out might actually be Cherokee Green, I will know this winter.
Old July 6, 2017   #5
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I was told a week ago, that I might just have Cherokee Green, rather than the real Cherokee Lime, because the real CL has a clear epi, mine does get a bit of yellow, so probably a yellow epi. I think yours has more color due to the heat. I have to grow in the fall winter spring as you probably know.
A person who has true CL with totally clear epidermis is sending me seeds, so I will grow it out this winter.

So folks, what I gave out might actually be Cherokee Green, I will know this winter.
No worries here. Whatever it turns out to be it's healthy, attractive and if it tastes good it'll be a winner.
Old July 6, 2017   #6
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Here are some Rebel Alliance maters next to 3 Black Cherrys. Thought I would take a pic to show the color and shape difference in the two...

20170629_164407.jpg
Old July 6, 2017   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Did RA form a multiflora truss?
Old July 6, 2017   #8
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Did RA form a multiflora truss?
Oh yeah, and it seems to be topping out at about 5 feet tall as I think you said it would. I gave my sister a plant and it's consistent with mine.

Unfortunately, my backyard deer seem to like them a whole lot.
Old July 6, 2017   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJones View Post
Oh yeah, and it seems to be topping out at about 5 feet tall as I think you said it would. I gave my sister a plant and it's consistent with mine.

Unfortunately, my backyard deer seem to like them a whole lot.
Deer can be very pesky. Sorry you are having that trouble. Excellent to hear that you got the multiflora too.
Old July 6, 2017   #10
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Deer can be very pesky. Sorry you are having that trouble. Excellent to hear that you got the multiflora too.
They haven't been too bad, but they did discover the RA about 3 weeks ago and got about half my first fruit set. They seem to have moved on and I'm picking earlier to hopefully reduce any appetizing smells.
Old July 7, 2017   #11
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

The 4 tomatoes from this plant are starting to look pretty dang similar to Cherokee Purple. Interested to see what the greenies on my sister's plant turn into.
Old July 7, 2017   #12
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, I have the multiflora on my Rebel Alliance, and all the tiny green fruit that has set so far have very pointy ends like hearts! Is this something they grow out of and get round when mature? I had that happen on the Vince P1 experimental cherry. I will try to get a picture.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Marsha, I have the multiflora on my Rebel Alliance, and all the tiny green fruit that has set so far have very pointy ends like hearts! Is this something they grow out of and get round when mature? I had that happen on the Vince P1 experimental cherry. I will try to get a picture.
That beautiful heart shape stayed in mine the whole time. That's the target shape, with little ridges too. It has yellow epi so it will be brown.

John, I am very interested to see the internal flesh. Should still be green. If the blossom end is soft, time to cut!
Old July 8, 2017   #14
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Marsha! I should have done my research before asking! Just was remembering a lot of round shapes from some of the early pictures elsewhere so forgot you got baby hearts!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #15
cloz
Tomatovillian™

This is my Rebel Alliance. Appears to have small heart shaped fruit and multiflora. Seeds from Marsha.

Cloz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0898.jpg (76.5 KB, 110 views)
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote