Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 23, 2017   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default How many plants in a 22 inch wide container?

My daughter bought a round 22 inch wide container from Sam's Club that stands 18 inches tall,she asked if she can put 2 tomato plants in it?I never grown anything in containers.The plants I grew from seed are,Black Krim,Orange Russian 117 and Early Girl.What are your thoughts?

Last edited by cjp1953; May 23, 2017 at 06:33 PM.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

One only one plant.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth,that's what I told her.I was just making sure as I have never tried tomatoes in a container.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #4
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

If she has a twin stalk seedling (both seeds germinated) she could plant those together and have a little more production. I have heard they compete and its not ideal, but honestly I have seen my dual plants actually perform well. Not sure if the competition makes them do better or just coincidence.

Also I am sure she is aware but do not use soil. Use a good potting mix or they will drown.

Last edited by HoustonHeat; June 21, 2017 at 01:17 PM. Reason: more info...
HoustonHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #5
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHeat View Post
If she has a twin stalk seedling (both seeds germinated) she could plant those together and have a little more production.
I've found that trying to separate them causes more long term harm than letting them grow together. And sometimes, if one isn't pinched when very young, it can grow back!
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

That's 55 cm! That's a whole lot. I grow 2 in 45 cm pruned to one stem.
Why grow one when you can try two different varieties.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #7
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

At 22" across and 12" deep it would be a true 20gal, and a very large pot if you're fertigating with water soluble nutrients. So that's a biggest consideration, how you're feeding and through what media.

As a general recommendation I'd say one plant and make it a high production, hardy disease tolerant cherry, like Sungold or Sweet Million.

If it's a more confident grower wanting to explore pruning, 2 plants trimmed to one stem, like zipcode said.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #8
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I grow two plants in a 5 gallon and both are pruned to single stem. Many commercial growers use containers about the same size with two plants also.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #9
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

I grow single tomato plants in 22" containers. I am not a single stem grower, so I can't say what kind of production you would get from more than one plant in a pot that size pruned to a single.

I can say that a cared for, multiple stem single plant can produce pretty heavily and dominate that pot. Also, no need to fill more than about 60% with soil. A couple of mine...

Black Prince
Black Prince.jpg

German Johnson
German Johnson #1.jpg
German Johnson #2.jpg

Please also consider how tall a single stem plant will get in that container and that your production will be limited to the trusses that form on that one stem. I like to begin topping my plants at about 6 or 7 feet and this is an easier decision when I have multiple healthy growing stems at or below that level.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2017   #10
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

@JohnJones-
What kind of cages are those? Looks like the horizontal supports snap on, so are adjustable?
GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #11
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I agree completely. I have 10 planters about that size on my patio with 2 plants each in them and they do well. All are single stem. Space is not the issue. The biggest issue is higher water requirements for 2 plants versus one. As long as they never wilt then they will do fine.
Old July 3, 2017   #12
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
@JohnJones-
What kind of cages are those? Looks like the horizontal supports snap on, so are adjustable?
GG
This...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj-3FGMuC_Y

I use 4 stakes. It works well for me, but I do have to top the plants at 7 or 8 feet to keep it from getting too top heavy. I place them close together so they can lean on each other a bit.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017   #13
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

What kind of growth habit is the tomato you want to grow it this huge pot. If it is an indeter, determinate or dwarf, you could likely put in 1, 2 or 3 plants...

I'm growing dwarf Bison in kitty litter boxes, one per container. So far, they are doing great. Just the regular old style tomato rings/supports are being used to help support them. They don't really need support, but because it is often windy and they are in a container that could tip over, why not try help them stay up?

zeroma
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #14
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I've been growing 1 in a 4 gallon bucket for years, it just depends on watering at least daily & fertilizer regularly, plus a time-release fertilizer in the media...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #15
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Go with the Early Girl and the Black Krim, there's space for both. Limit the number of stems and top them at 5-6ft. There's plenty of time for a fall harvest. Fertigation will be key!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote