Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2018   #31
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We just had the second hail storm since the freeze. I didn't see any damage to the plants - even though there was a lot of hail.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #32
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I hope there was no more damage. In our parts of the country we just never know what may brew up. I wish we could afford a tornado shelter at our house. Odds are we wouldn't need it other than taking precautions, but we just never know. £#it happens.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #33
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Steve, you are absolutely right. It's the only thing I've ever known weather-wise.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Salt, I hope there was no more damage. In our parts of the country we just never know what may brew up. I wish we could afford a tornado shelter at our house. Odds are we wouldn't need it other than taking precautions, but we just never know. £#it happens.
Where I came from east of Springfield storm shelter=homemade beer and wine cellar because no one had air conditioning.
worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #35
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Where I came from east of Springfield storm shelter=homemade beer and wine cellar because no one had air conditioning.
worth
When I was a kid I remember both sets of grandparents had root cellars out in their yards. They had wooden shelves filled with jars of things they had grown and canned along with a very dim single light bulb dangling from the ceiling. The place was full of spiders too. They also used them as storm shelters.
Old April 22, 2018   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
When I was a kid I remember both sets of grandparents had root cellars out in their yards. They had wooden shelves filled with jars of things they had grown and canned along with a very dim single light bulb dangling from the ceiling. The place was full of spiders too. They also used them as storm shelters.
When I lived in south eastern Oklahoma I had the rare opportunity to be in two tornadoes in one day
One was 300 yards off and it was black then it sucked the water out of a lake and turned white then back to black again.
The other one was at my house after seeing the first one in town.
It tore the sawmill up across the road picked up a sheet of metal roofing and darn near cut my head off as it went by like a Frisbee.
That one also put fresh cut railroad cross ties into a trailer house and made it look like a pincushion.
Flipped over loaded 2 ton trucks and even picked up a big Minneapolis Moline engine and set it down a few yards away.
The place looked like Cologne Germany after the bombing.

We didn't have a storm shelter but the friends down the road did.
For some time after seeing the devastation of these powerful storms up close if a big storm came up I would jump in the truck drive down the road and get in the shelter.
To this day I listen for that freight train sound and the tale tell cracking of trees during a storm.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #37
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

The power and destructiveness of wind can be incredible. Not only to structures, but to the human body. After the tornado here in 2011, I saw things I won't mention here. They had 2 refrigerated tractor trailers filled with body parts that required DNA testing for identification.