Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 8, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default More tomatoes and assorted other stuff

Today was a day of first pickings. There were a few more Porters, Rosellas and BATs to get and one Super Sioux. The others seem to be taking their time ripening.

I pulled the first four ears of Silver Queen corn, got a handful of the Alabama blackeye butterbeans, a box of Cherokee Trail of Tears beans in the shelly stage and the first bell pepper. There were also more jalapenos and Gypsy peppers, the first bell pepper, some yard long beans and the first two cukes from the new trellised plant. "Somebody" had already grabbed up the beans and cut them up before the pic was taken. :

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2020   #2
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

The Cherokee Trail of Tears beans look very nice. What was the seed source?
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2020   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

They originally came from Baker Creek. I've been using saved seed since 2017.
Old July 9, 2020   #4
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Now that's a beautiful basket. Actually I like the basket too. Is that repurposed cardboard?

Also how much room/what kind of sun/support do you need to grow beans? I've never done it, but may try some next year.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2020   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

About four years ago that basket was full of peaches I bought at an orchard. I have no idea if it was made with recycled cardboard or not. I have four of them that I keep in the garden shed for picking stuff. Never let a good basket go to waste!
If you grow pole beans instead of bush beans you can save a lot of space. And space-wise you can get more on a trellis than you can a tri-pod or quad-pod tepee. Pole beans will grow up to the moon but I make the trellises only as tall as I can reach to pick. The beans will run to the top and then start running down again.

I plant bush and pole beans about 2-3" apart. Real bushy bush beans sometimes get planted 4" apart (air flow concerns). You can get away with pole beans 2" apart because, as you can see above, the foliage is thin at the bottom, which will give you 6 plants per row foot.

Beans will grow in full sun but can appreciate a bit of shade during the hottest part of the day. These CTOTs will do fine in the all day sun.
Old July 10, 2020   #6
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful beans! I like the pole type also. More beans per vine and easier to pick.
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote