Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old July 29, 2016   #1
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Default lots of leaves, few pods

This is the first time I've planted butterbeans. I had no clue what I was doing but as you can see from the picture, I did get a lot of vine growing! I'm certain that I planted too heavily for the area. I planted about 2 seeds in each hole, not trusting that anything would come up. The top of the trellis is so full that I can't see how any blooms can even happen in that massive jungle. I've only just this week picked about a handful of mature pods.

There are a few more immature pods that I can see, but I really don't see very many blossoms at all. Part of that may be due to the heat and humidity we've been having, but I'm not sure. Should I try to trim out some of the growth on top? (although they are all twisted up together and it would be difficult). Leave this alone and continue waiting? Any suggestions or thoughts? Oh, and I think I must have some kind of a pest in there although I haven't been able to see anything, but I have had the tiniest little ants crawling up and down the vines. I can't really see any damage to the leaves or anything so I haven't worried about it. Should I be worrying?

Also, I've read that I should have added a soil inoculant (whatever that is), when I planted the seed. Do you all recommend that for next year? Is there a particular brand?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160714_075915.jpg (297.5 KB, 73 views)
tarheelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have read and heard that too much nitrogen will do this with legumes.
Plant some corn in there with it that should help maybe, just an idea.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #3
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately I don't have enough room for corn. Sure does sound good though....

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk
Old July 30, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just plant 4 5 or 6 down the side of each row it will act like a weed and use up some of the nitrogen.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #5
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I've had limas set poorly in the heat of Summer but when the cooler weather of Fall comes they start bearing prolifically. Keep us posted!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #6
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

My beans get the same feed as the tomatoes 200+ ppm N, and I picked 1/3 bushel off a 12' double row of pole beans yesterday.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #7
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Inoculant should not be necessary, although it might have been helpful if beans were never grown on that soil before. As others have noted, excess N can delay flowering... but if you have already harvested some pods, then excess N is unlikely to be the cause - unless fertilizer was added later.

Crowding might be at least partially responsible. I also wonder if shade could be part of the problem, since I note trees in the background... do the plants get full sun?
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #8
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Yes, they get full sun. Would there be any benefit to trying to thin out the stems on top? Will that hurt? The heat and humidity has been unbearable. Ugh.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk