Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 14, 2018   #3316
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

As always I very much enjoyed reading your posts from the last few days. I have a bed of Pike Snap Beans which I should be able to start picking by the end of the month. I have quite of few tomato plants which are setting fruit at temperatures of 74 and 75. Even though almost all the varieties I have out have quite a few flowers it is only the quite early varieties Fourth of July and Bush Early Girl that have been setting fruit. These varieties certainly don't produce great tasting tomatoes but they are very dependable, especially BEG, it has never failed me.
As of this morning the morning low temps are starting to be more cooperative. 71 degrees this morning. Looking at the forecast, next Sun, Mon and Tue morning lows are 68, 69 and 69. If that happens it would be approx 2 degrees above the average morning lows for those days but still quite workable.
Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pike Beans 2018 10 13.jpg (66.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Setting Fruit 1 2018 10 13.jpg (70.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Setting Fruit 4 2018 10 13.jpg (80.6 KB, 129 views)
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018   #3317
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry,

Your plants look great and your night time lows are much better than mine. We were suppose to be in the low 70s by now, but they keep pushing those temps out. Our night time lows have reached 76 for low but mostly higher and tonight I think it will be 80. So October seems to now be the 3rd month of August.

I have 10 EB planted out and a bunch of root pouches, but am out of shade cloth which they need in the late mornings till 6ish. My backyard is so hot; much worse than the front yard I have a few plants flowering; SunGold and Park's Nectar (first time growing it). I have a lot that are starting to bud.

I went to do my VegiBee this AM on them, and it no longer works; so I guess I will just get a cheap electric toothbrush.

Larry - Did you plant broccoli yet?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018   #3318
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Larry,

Your plants look great and your night time lows are much better than mine. We were suppose to be in the low 70s by now, but they keep pushing those temps out. Our night time lows have reached 76 for low but mostly higher and tonight I think it will be 80. So October seems to now be the 3rd month of August.

I have 10 EB planted out and a bunch of root pouches, but am out of shade cloth which they need in the late mornings till 6ish. My backyard is so hot; much worse than the front yard I have a few plants flowering; SunGold and Park's Nectar (first time growing it). I have a lot that are starting to bud.

I went to do my VegiBee this AM on them, and it no longer works; so I guess I will just get a cheap electric toothbrush.

Larry - Did you plant broccoli yet?
While my temps are cooling faster now I'm also guessing come June my temps also go up faster than yours. Orlando record high temperature is 103 set on Sept 4, 1921. The distance from the ocean seems to make quite a difference. Other than that we are close to the same latitude with me being about 60 miles from the coast.
I have about 55 Castle Dome Broccoli plants in, which I transplanted a month ago. I plan to seed over a 100 plants this week, so they will be large enough to transplant when my snap beans are finished.
Have you ever grown Black Brandywine tomatoes. I have a couple in beds, along with the nematodes and one in a container. So far so good, they are flowering and the plants look healthy.
Also, I curious if you are growing Garden Treasure from seed this season and how it has been working for you. I may try it in the spring and also maybe UFL's W Hybrid.
Larry
Old October 17, 2018   #3319
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

i have fruit set - On SunGolds for sure and Nectar - I'm pretty sure. Night time lows have been no where near 72. A lot of my plants are starting to flower and lots have buds.

I just need the weather to cooperate so I can finish transplanting and getting the plants moved into their final destination. Lots in Root pouches are under the shade cloth. Only a few are in their final spots so I will need to do a lot of moving and adding cages.

---
Larry - I grew Garden Treasure one year and grew out the F2s the next year. The F2s were dynamite.

For hybrids, I'm growing: Damsel and started some Mountain Fresh Plus (AKMARK's recommendation for a determinate).

Where is the info on the W? Where to buy?
Old October 17, 2018   #3320
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
i have fruit set - On SunGolds for sure and Nectar - I'm pretty sure. Night time lows have been no where near 72. A lot of my plants are starting to flower and lots have buds.

I just need the weather to cooperate so I can finish transplanting and getting the plants moved into their final destination. Lots in Root pouches are under the shade cloth. Only a few are in their final spots so I will need to do a lot of moving and adding cages.

---
Larry - I grew Garden Treasure one year and grew out the F2s the next year. The F2s were dynamite.

For hybrids, I'm growing: Damsel and started some Mountain Fresh Plus (AKMARK's recommendation for a determinate).

Where is the info on the W? Where to buy?
Damsel was a very tasty tomato for us this year, exceptional actually.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018   #3321
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Damsel sounds very interesting. A nematode resistant indeterminate may be a winner here in my beds.
W hybrid is another variety from the University of Florida (UF). A ten-dollar donation is said to get Garden Gem, Garden Treasure and W-Hybrid seeds. W is said to be a determinate, 6 oz, 70-day tomato. W appears to be their newest variety. My impression W may be more geared to production than taste.
Looks like, here in Orlando, our last 90 degree high for this year will be on Saturday. Next week temperatures are forecast quite a bit lower. Lower temps are certainly overdue this year.
I’m anxious to find space in the garden in November for Snow Peas. Mammoth Melting Sugar has been very productive for me and produces far into the spring, while Oregon Sugar Pod II is productive and doesn’t need a trellis.
Larry
Old October 23, 2018   #3322
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Update 10-23

I updated the SunOrange / SunGreen thread with the status of my hybrid cherries and a couple of pictures.

I also updated the KARMA Pink thread with pictures of some KARMA Pinks I'm growing.

First picture is Not Vintage Wine along with Daniels sharing the EB. First time growing each. Thanks for the seed's Marsha.

2nd Picture is the staging area of plants that haven't made it to their final destination. They are in their final plant out, but the sun has been so intense and when planting out, I only had so much shade cloth. Later this week or by Friday, they will all be in their final spots. (sorry the pic is sideways - I'm uploading from a Chromebook so don't know of any options to change)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0708.jpg (500.9 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0712.jpg (587.5 KB, 106 views)
Old October 24, 2018   #3323
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Barb,
Thanks for the pictures. I've never used shade cloth but I probably should. I'm anxious to hear how Damsel variety works for you here in Florida. I see in your first photo what I think is a Pineapple plant in a container. I would like to know what is the proper size container for a Pineapple. I've two each in a 6 gal plastic pot. One is green and looks healthy, while the other is about the same size but the leaves are quite yellow. If you or anyone has thoughts on this please share. I'm questioning whether I should move them to a larger container, say as 10 gallon.
Thanks, Larry
Old October 24, 2018   #3324
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry, I really don't think it matters what size container b/c they don't have a big root system. Someone local gave me 2 plants with a full size (store bought size) pineapples on them. They were each in their own 1 gallon black contractor type containers. The bottoms of the containers had a lot of pebbles so it was really heavy.

I've grown some large ones in the ground, but not as large as what was given to me. They do fine in the ground too; maybe even better. I have so many pineapples in my yard; I've run out of space. My favorite plant - cause you don't have to do anything. Mine tasted great this year; they are always great but this year I think they were even better.

Will keep you posted on Damsel. It doesn't look like a huge plant. I have one in an EB and one in a 5 gallon root pouch. It is definitely a contender to which large tomato sets fruit first.
Old October 24, 2018   #3325
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Floridians - post here

for which LARGE TOMATO to set fruit first.

I have several contenders but none have set fruit yet. Friday evening will be welcoming the new better weather for the season.
Old October 24, 2018   #3326
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
for which LARGE TOMATO to set fruit first.

I have several contenders but none have set fruit yet. Friday evening will be welcoming the new better weather for the season.
Just put them in, no fruit set at all yet.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2018   #3327
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Impressive fruit set this week

Big tomatoes setting fruit:

Daniels (first time growing - via Marsha)
Not Vintage Wine (" ")
Damsel (first time growing - hybrid)
Matsu Express

Cherries setting fruit:
ALL the Tokita hybrids have set A LOT of fruit - the plants are into their extenders already.

Other hybrids setting a LOT of fruit are Cherry Bomb and Parks Nectar.

KARMA PINK - set fruit.

----
I will update if I see more fruit set from the big tomatoes. Please do the same.
Old November 1, 2018   #3328
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Big tomatoes setting fruit:

Daniels (first time growing - via Marsha)
Not Vintage Wine (" ")
Damsel (first time growing - hybrid)
Matsu Express

Cherries setting fruit:
ALL the Tokita hybrids have set A LOT of fruit - the plants are into their extenders already.

Other hybrids setting a LOT of fruit are Cherry Bomb and Parks Nectar.

KARMA PINK - set fruit.

----
I will update if I see more fruit set from the big tomatoes. Please do the same.
I also have grown Daniels. It was a slightly smaller BW type for me. Good taste and yield, same BW issues.
Old November 1, 2018   #3329
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Senior moment. What are the BW issues mentioned above. In my area their major issue is lateness. One of my favorites, but a gamble in my zone if fall is cool.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2018   #3330
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Senior moment. What are the BW issues mentioned above. In my area their major issue is lateness. One of my favorites, but a gamble in my zone if fall is cool.

- Lisa
They will crack if watering is not spot on, or too much rainy weather. Fruit can be misshapen more so than many varieties. They are late to produce, and fruit set is average. Daniels is just a bit earlier for me.