Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 9, 2015   #61
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The stink bugs have moved in.
I hate stink bugs they ruin tomatoes and peppers.

Worth
Yes they do. I havent seen any yet but I have seen the marks of them on my black cherry tomatoes just recently.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #62
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

whats the signs and effect of stink bugs on tomatos? (I will google search what a sting bug is)
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #63
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneNY View Post
whats the signs and effect of stink bugs on tomatos? (I will google search what a sting bug is)
They suck in the fruit and leave hard scar tissue all over the outside layer of flesh.
To me making the tomato almost useless.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #64
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Dang, hate to hear about stink bugs! I assume they'll be in DFW in the near future then. So far, no signs of them. I found my first bird peck today, so I will have to be more diligent on picking at blush. I'd been trying to hold out a little longer to allow more heated ripening. The more recently picked fruits are much better in taste and texture. So far we've made salsa and marinara and both are terrific. We are eating them like crazy and giving them away and still have more than twice as many on the counter as were in the previous shot. Bountiful year! Still battling leaf diseases though.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #65
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I went out yesterday and whacked a tomato cage.
It looked like 100's of stink bugs came flying out.

I also have some kind of critter coming buy and eating tomatoes the day before I want to pick them.
Since it is a zoo around here at night there is no telling what it is.

I can hardly wait for the horn worms to show up.
It is one of my joys in life to see my tomato plants eaten up every year.

Worth
Old June 10, 2015   #66
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've been killing stinkbugs all year here. We have heavy woods all around us. They like to overwinter under fallen branches. There's no way for us to get rid of them - just try to control them around the gardens.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 10, 2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: fallen - not falling
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #67
Mallori
Tomatovillian™

I have a large and healthy lizard population that seems to keep the bugs controlled. I would be screwed if it wasn't for them.
Mallori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #68
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

I had an early hornworm attack. I took care of them w/ BT. I have also noticed this year I have not had a problem w/ bird holes, or worm holes. Splitting has not been a problem either even w/ all of the rain. I noticed a possible white fly infestation on one plant close to my greenhouse. I believe they came from my oregano plant in the greenhouse. The oregano plant was covered w/ white flies, and when I trimmed the bush I guess they went outside.....how do I control white flies?
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #69
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

the birds are getting mine too. So Im picking them as soon as they look like theyre turning ripe. I was told to leave them in a paper bag to ripen, is that good advice or should I just leave them out on the counter?
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #70
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I find they ripen just fine sitting on the counter, though some recommend putting them in a sunny window. I purposely don't do that because I believe it will shorten your shelf life a good bit if you do that.

I've always heard birds peck looking for water, but, I've never put up a bird fountain for fear of attracting more birds that might be looking for food too.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #71
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
I find they ripen just fine sitting on the counter, though some recommend putting them in a sunny window. I purposely don't do that because I believe it will shorten your shelf life a good bit if you do that.

I've always heard birds peck looking for water, but, I've never put up a bird fountain for fear of attracting more birds that might be looking for food too.
I have two bird baths that refill everyday automatically since doing this I have had no problems to speak of with birds.
The other thing is my irrigation system.
If squirrels dont have water they will eat into your irrigation heads looking for water.

Worth
Old June 11, 2015   #72
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I put out water in tubs for the animals. I started this years ago because my lazy neighbors wouldn't remember to give their dogs water - so I did. Then I started noticing birds and other wildlife drinking in them and birds bathing in them. They do that with sprinklers too. Down here you need to put the water tubs or whatever you use in shaded areas. Otherwise, in summer, the water gets way too hot.
Old June 11, 2015   #73
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I put out water in tubs for the animals. I started this years ago because my lazy neighbors wouldn't remember to give their dogs water - so I did. Then I started noticing birds and other wildlife drinking in them and birds bathing in them. They do that with sprinklers too. Down here you need to put the water tubs or whatever you use in shaded areas. Otherwise, in summer, the water gets way too hot.
Yeah I have a bird and critter oasis in my front yard in the shade.
IMG_20150611_55219.jpg
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; June 11, 2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old June 11, 2015   #74
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

That Elephant ears leaf is as big as the bird bath
Old June 11, 2015   #75
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
That Elephant ears leaf is as big as the bird bath
They get watered from the overflow of the birdbath filling.
In the fall I rake a big pile of leaves over them to protect the bulbs from freezing.
Worth