Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2015   #16
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by digsdirt View Post
"That sounds good in theory Sue but doesn't work in practice. If any soil in the container contains some disease then all the soil in the container contains the disease. There isn't a line in the sand that it cannot cross. "

I should and DO know that, being a nurse. But it takes time for bacteria to spread, and hopefully the winter killed off some, plus I have just found in the past I seem to have less foliage diseases when I mulch well around the plants instead of leaving bare soil. Maybe coincidence, but I thought it was because there was no soil splashing up on the foliage. You certainly know more about growing tomatoes so I must have made a bad assumption .

"It isn't that dry, granular organics don't work. it is that they can't work since there is no active soil microherd in the pot of potting mix to convert them, to eat and poop them, unless you add it and keep it alive and happy. Which is difficult to do in a small container Liquid organics work fine. "

I know, they don't work because they can't.

"Granular non-organic? Any plain old 10-10-10 granular fertilizer is as good as any other."

Ok, thanks.

Seriously?? In 3 months time most any tomato plant and its rootball can easily quadruple in size and max out any genetic size limitations it may have.

Dave

Dave, any thoughts on the regular garden or should I post a new thread to ask?

Sue
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #17
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Oh I agree with you on the need to mulch. I misunderstood. Thought you were going to just layer with potting mix.

Dave
Old June 29, 2015   #18
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I have used organic fertilizer with good results since a few years in pots. I think the bacteria and fungi just find their way in there. It is very important to supplement with some micronutrients though (some epsom salts, iron chelates and some borax at least), since peat based soils (most common) don't really have minerals.
But a complete hydroponic solution (like floranova) will just work better without any extra fuss.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #19
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Just a thought on pot size. Dwarf plants have very thick, dense foliage from my experience. Growing two in one pot is a formula for disease and pests. I have not grown anything in less than 10 gallons and my choice for the dwarfs are 15 gallon but that's my choice. But keep them separate for sure.
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote