Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 22, 2006   #1
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Default Why no peppers?

I have some nice Gypsy peppers and jalepeno peppers in my raised bed, they are flowering good but aren't producing any peppers. The blossoms just drop off. I have some other Gypsy peppers in pots on my porch that are producing peppers just fine. What is wrong with the ones in the raised bed?
Old June 23, 2006   #2
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Very common for pepper (and tomato) plants in pots to set fruit before those in the ground. Being rootbound is a big part of the reason. (according to me) And the ground temperature being cooler is possibly another factor.

A simple experiment:

Plant an early producing tomato variety such as Sungold in 4" pots, 1 gal containers, 7 gal containers and in your raised bed. Water only as needed and try to treat all the same.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2006   #3
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

So it is alright if the blossoms keep falling off? We are in the upper 90's all week this week.
Old June 23, 2006   #4
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Upper 90s is just too hot for some pepper species/varieties. Temps at night are equally if not even more important.

I've grown both the hybrid and European Gypsy and they pretty much shut down when it gets really hot, but generally do well in warm areas. And I've always found jals to be finicky too especially in the hot months here.

Perhaps too much nitrogen?

Is there a county extension service near you? This is often the best place to seek advice as are gardening neighbors. http://www.fcs.uga.edu/ext/contact/offices.php

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2006   #5
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

See this is what confuses me. The ones on the porch are in a much hotter area but are doing fine. Maybe it is too much nitrogen, the raised bed was filled with regular soil plus the stuff from the compost pile which has mostly rabbit and bird manure in it. The pepper plants in the raised bed are really tall and look fairly good(especially the jalepenos) but the blossoms just fall off. The night time temps are hovering right around 70*. Anyway, we are supposed to drop cooler this Sun, or Mon. so maybe I will see a difference then. Thanks.