Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 23, 2011   #1
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Default Leaf roll with purple and yellow spots

Since about 2 weeks I have a rapidly advancing problem on my lower to mid leaves, especially on new big dwarf. All plants are in pots on the balcony. Wasn't sure if I should make a new thread or hijack the 'Tobacco Mosaic Virus or Environmental Stress' thread which has quite similar problems I think.

Here are some pics:

Ignore the date, wrong camera settings.

The plants are now 3-4 feet tall, and have some small tomatoes which don't grow much, since this problem is advancing fast. The problem appears mostly on the leaves towards the sun, but they only get max 4 hours of sun.
I thought of some sort of deficiency as it doesn't look like a disease, but it doesn't quite match any, and I've searched the internet high and low.

I'm using Neudorff tomaten dunger as fertilizer (organic 7-3-10 with some other elements and mycorrhizae ). I didn't use too much, just a bit more than according to package instructions (since it's in pots).

Please help!

Last edited by zipcode; June 23, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2011   #2
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

I have those exact same symptoms on some of my container grown greenhouse plants. I'm almost positive it is a deficiency, probably magnesium. I know an excess of other nutrients can make magnesium unavailable but I'm not as versed in my soil sciences as I should be so I can't give you any recommendations. I'm wondering if increased soil temps in the containers has something to do with it. There are some knowledgeable growers here, maybe they will chime in.

I used an Epsom salt drench on my pots as a test, but didn't notice any improvement at all.

On a positive note - it seems the worse the symptoms get, the better the tomatoes taste. I doubt if it is related though.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2011   #3
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

doesn't look like magnesium deficiency to me.
have the pots been amended with minerals or just counting on the ferts to supply ?
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2011   #4
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

I was basing my diagnosis on these three links:

http://www.gardenvegetables.co.uk/wp...deficiency.jpg
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne..._Magnesium.htm
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...132668.html?17

But a soil test is probably needed for an accurate diagnosis.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2011   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I also added some epsom 2 days ago, no improvement at all yet.
It's driving me crazy, they were doing so well.

I didn't use anything except the fertilizer and what is in the potting mix (mostly peat and some perlite and compost).
Old June 23, 2011   #6
maf
Tomatovillian™

I have seen this often in container plants, especially towards the end of a long season, and I do believe it is magnesium related. Possibly the cause is the magnesium being made unavailable by (too) high levels of potassium (K) in the soil from the high dose of fertilizer. Dosing "a bit more than according to package instructions (since it's in pots)" is not usually the best plan, I would rather go under than over.

Try foliar feeding Epsom salts to get some Mg back into the plants that way and see if it helps. Might also be wise to flush the containers through with fresh water before feeding again.

Edit: Also the potting mix usually has enough fertilizer to last several weeks in the first place, so no need to feed at all untill the roots have established in the pot.

Last edited by maf; June 23, 2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Addition
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2011   #7
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I get the same thing on my container plants every year and have not done anything special other then pruning the leaves when they start getting to bad. The leaf roll is probably from excess water and I do get that from time to time but gennerally just get the coloring of the leaves. It has not spread to the whole plant in the last three years so I have not worried about it anymore.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2011   #8
maf
Tomatovillian™

Yes, agree with Craig, it tends to stay on the older leaves and new growth stays fresh green and normal, so not that big of a deal. I would not want to be seeing it this early in the season though. (And, yes, I am also talking about the leaf colour rather than the rolling.)
Old June 24, 2011   #9
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

So how much and often should I use for foliar spray with epsom?
Old June 24, 2011   #10
maf
Tomatovillian™

One teaspoon per gallon of water, once per week, spray till runoff.

Can go higher, for a one off application, up to say a tablespoon per gallon.