Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 29, 2011   #1
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Default Diseased Golden Queen USDA

I pulled this plant after the video. The video didn't turn out well...I think the lens was fogged up a bit due to the humidity. Not sure what the problem was, but I pulled the plant before it had a chance to spread.

The plant had good fruit set and the top looked good, but the problem was spreading quickly up the plant despite Daconil treatment and removing the affected foliage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50dtAObpTIA

Any ideas on what this was?
Old June 29, 2011   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Doesn't look like a fungal disease, so Daconil or any other fungicide would be useless.
What did the roots look like when you pulled it? Something tells me that the problem is in the soil—water, fertilizer or soil born pest/pathogen particular to your part of the country.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2011   #3
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Roots were amazing...very long multiple tap roots and solid root ball. All the plants next to it are doing fine.
Old June 30, 2011   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I'm far from an expert on diseases but to me it just looked like a bit of nitrogen deficiency with the yellowing leaves. The droopiness looked like a water problem - too much that possibly washed out the nitrogen.

If it gets the same water as the rest, possibly there is something deeper under that plant that is preventing drainage, a rock or something.

Just a guess on my part, but it didn't look like anything I would have pulled the plant over.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2011   #5
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

yeah, when I get that on the lower leaves and branches I just break them off and toss them away from the plants.

Seems to work for me.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2011   #6
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

As of this morning, it has spread to the neighboring Brandywine Sudduth's and the Yellow Brandywine.

These plants are in a 12 inch tall raised bed with silver plastic mulch and drip irrigation. I've kept the moisture level very consistent, fed tomato tone when planting and fertilized twice with a 13-13-13 through the drip system. The problem is only in this bed (so far...fingers crossed) I won't pull any other plants as I feel like all remaining 6 plants likely are affected by whatever this is.