Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 26, 2017   #31
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Good news! My dwarfs are loaded with blossoms. Wherokowhai has 4 tomatoes (in this picture you can see 2 of them if you zoom a little bit). Uluru Ochre is more behind but I don't worry. I've regained confidence
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170624_11_54_31_Pro.jpg (353.8 KB, 82 views)
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #32
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Here Wherokowhai is the dwarf with the fastes and stronges fruit set so far and Uluru the slowest So seems to be normal.
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #33
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Uluru O is one of the best tasting tomatoes you can grow, if it wasn't so stingy I'd grow a bunch of them. I grew two plants that between them had scores of blooms, 2 tomatoes total. they were worth it.

Wherokowhai I got a ton of blooms and not a single tomato, so you've beat me.

Wild Fred is a permanent member of the stable, it should outproduce the other two.

Best of luck!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #34
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Tasm. Chocolate is a good producer. Unlike many here I prune my dwarfs. I have to. I try to leave 4 to 6 main stems depending on the dwarf. Some, like Sleeping Lady, do fine w/o pruning but for me I get good fruit set and bigger tomatoes by pruning. Total weight ends up being about the same.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #35
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I'm finding that some dwarfs take longer than others, too, at least in my garden. Tasmanian Chocolate and Adelaide Festival are just starting to blossom, but Firebird Sweet and Summertime Green have been blossoming for two and a half weeks.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #36
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Uluru O is one of the best tasting tomatoes you can grow, if it wasn't so stingy I'd grow a bunch of them. I grew two plants that between them had scores of blooms, 2 tomatoes total. they were worth it.

Wherokowhai I got a ton of blooms and not a single tomato, so you've beat me.

Wild Fred is a permanent member of the stable, it should outproduce the other two.

Best of luck!
Wow, it's good i did not sow U O then.. No need for stingy varieties!
I might try it next year though..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #37
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

My Tennessee Suited seem to be the most fruitful so far, several have 4 fruit and many blossoms. This is my first year for Dwarfs - i hope i did not make a mistake by caging them? Like will the fruits get squished?

Do you have to shake the bush or use an electric toothbrush on them to pollenate is few bee's around? I have a ton of blossoms compared to fruit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JUNE DWARF.jpg (490.4 KB, 52 views)
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2017   #38
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Tasm. Chocolate is a good producer. Unlike many here I prune my dwarfs. I have to. I try to leave 4 to 6 main stems depending on the dwarf. Some, like Sleeping Lady, do fine w/o pruning but for me I get good fruit set and bigger tomatoes by pruning. Total weight ends up being about the same.
I do some pruning too. Much less than on the others, so they still look very bushy, but I can't let them grow like they want.
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote