Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Old July 25, 2013   #16
FaithHopeLove
Tomatovillian™

That would be awesome! I planted around 130 varieties and they lived through the summer heat, then came the darn hornworms! I picked and killed about 15 off one tomato plant! I killed approx 50 of them within 4 days! I have no idea where they came from!
Old July 25, 2013   #17
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If you might have bought a bagged container mix or a bagged amendment to your garden beds it could have traveled with the bag from the source the material came from.It happened to me this year when I got lazy and got some from a big box store and ended up growing myself a generation of brown hornworms I have never seen or had before.Back to the pro mix for me and my containers.
Old July 25, 2013   #18
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
If you might have bought a bagged container mix or a bagged amendment to your garden beds it could have traveled with the bag from the source the material came from.It happened to me this year when I got lazy and got some from a big box store and ended up growing myself a generation of brown hornworms I have never seen or had before.Back to the pro mix for me and my containers.
I love Promix.

Marsha
Old July 25, 2013   #19
FaithHopeLove
Tomatovillian™

Nope, I have my own compost for my garden ( horse, rabbit and chicken manure) so I didn't buy anything from the store this year. My father in law said that the hornworms attack his calla lily's every year, so I guess they chose my tomatoes instead!
Old July 25, 2013   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithHopeLove View Post
Nope, I have my own compost for my garden ( horse, rabbit and chicken manure) so I didn't buy anything from the store this year. My father in law said that the hornworms attack his calla lily's every year, so I guess they chose my tomatoes instead!
Hornworms come from eggs laid by Sphinx Moths. Very common in much of the US, including Florida.
Marsha
Old July 25, 2013   #21
FaithHopeLove
Tomatovillian™

So maybe they laid eggs in my compost?!
Old July 25, 2013   #22
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Maybe, but most times moth and butterfly eggs take only a few days to hatch, so I think one just flew in, laid eggs, and they hatched, at least that's more likely.

Marsha
Old August 15, 2013   #23
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Time will be 1 PM on October 19. Please send me a private message request for my address.
Marsha
Old August 26, 2013   #24
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

My 72 varieties of seeds sown yesterday. Now its up to the germination gods.
Old September 11, 2013   #25
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Tomato's are looking wonderful ! Transplanted into 1 gallon pots and will be bringing them in those and then have a 2nd batch transplanting into 4' pot's to bring those.
I've been using only at fist true leaves Organic rooting stimulant to water them, then homemade fish emulsion and Epsom salt water for all of them and they all have wonderful roots and are beautiful plants.
Last years plant trade produced thousands of wonderful tomato's we harvested along with all our own plants at Antioch Organic Community Garden.

I have Stepped down from this community garden, took some time for my health and just Started 2 new groups ,a homeschool garden club and a new community garden.
We are just planting our fall/winter gardens in this area for both groups and plan to grow our tomato's through the winter here once again. We can do this by Frost covers, straw blankets, and or a hoop house or green house. We see temps of down to 17 lowest since I live here to about 27 at times. The tomato's make it fine as long as I straw them and frost blanket them through. I have now done this 3 years in a row with wonderful results. Coming from Michigan comes in handy at times!
Old September 12, 2013   #26
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

My garden club thought it was a good idea for me to do a demo on putting an earthbox together, and along with your recipe for homemade fish emulsion, it should be a good experience for learning too.
Cheryl, could you be alked into a presentation on how to make your own soaps? We had a great deal of interest in that.

Marsha
Old September 13, 2013   #27
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Hay Marsha, good to see you are up for a gathering again this year.

Are you thinking of a tasting next year? We are moving up to Brooksville next week and don't think I'll be able to grow any tomatoes up there as they do get frost... so guess I'll be giving seed starting a go again next January....

Wish yall lots of fun at your exchange this October.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
Old September 13, 2013   #28
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowyck View Post
Hay Marsha, good to see you are up for a gathering again this year.

Are you thinking of a tasting next year? We are moving up to Brooksville next week and don't think I'll be able to grow any tomatoes up there as they do get frost... so guess I'll be giving seed starting a go again next January....

Wish yall lots of fun at your exchange this October.
Yes there will be a tasting, probably Lat Feb. or early March. It will be in South Fla. as there was much less attendance at the last tasting in central Fla. and we get many
here, much more interest , and I don't have to get a hotel room.
Good to hear from you Jan.

Marsha
Old October 2, 2013   #29
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default plant trade

Getting close to trade time Plants are looking wonderful and can't wait to come and hang out with everyone
Last year was a wonderful time and all the plants grew into beautiful healthy tomato producing machines!
See everyone soon
Bringing a few mini red sweet peppers, hot peppers and basil plants to which are wonderful companion plants to tomato's.
Old November 4, 2013   #30
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

so how did it go???? Marsha ya go any pictures to share..........

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt