Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 5, 2010   #16
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yes, it is saved seed...original seed came from Burpee, I grew it in 2006 - this year it is from that saved seed - and that year it was growing quite close to Kermit! So it very well could be an Apple Green X Kermit F1 cross. Very cool looking....fortunately, it did not have the bitterness of Kermit!
Old July 8, 2010   #17
amberroses
Tomatovillian™

Finally I have a little bud on my eggplant. Apparently it takes forever to grow an eggplant from seed even here in Florida.
amberroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010   #18
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

It does take a long time, but they are worth the wait. I have 6 plants, I planted them several weeks apart in hopes of having eggplants until frost. They still look good and have made it through the heat and humidity.

Enjoy,

Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2010   #19
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Update with pics (and a recipe!) here -

http://nctomatoman.weebly.com/1/post...-parmesan.html
Old July 15, 2010   #20
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Eggplants are now coming in like crazy (so are peppers....tomatoes? not very many, definite impact of the heat on fruit set).

Below are (left to right)

Apple Green cross, Batu close up, Batu, Casper cross (purplish stem seen after germination), Casper, Neon, NY Improved cross (purplish stem seen after germination - note purplish calyx, fruit very similar, a bit more pale in color) - two pictures; New York Improved, Orient Express F2 (with a very purple stem), and Rosita - along with all of the ones picked today in a basket.

Interesting to note days to maturity from transplant into the pot - four of them in 43 days, one at 50 days, two at 52 days, and two at 54 days.

Remaining to harvest - Ripples (nearly there, fruit on the plant), Orient Express F2 with a less purple stem (fruit set), Neon F2 with a green stem, Neon F2 with a purplish stem, and Rosa Bianca (way behind the others, poor/late germination, slow grower early on).
Old July 15, 2010   #21
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Very nice! I am getting a few here and there, hasnt been great fruit set. Kamo is my best so far this year.
Old July 15, 2010   #22
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Funny, Michael - the heat is really screwing with the tomato fruit set. But these eggplant and peppers in 5 gallon pots are amazing - some plants with 20 set eggplant fruit, or 10 or more sweet peppers. And the hot peppers? Just insane.

The good news is that the dwarfs seem to be setting better than some of the indeterminates - perhaps because the flowers are hidden in dense foliage!

Tonight we are grilling a Batu and a Casper cross, along with Souvlaki-prepped veggies and chicken over couscous. Good eats!
Old July 20, 2010   #23
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

NC, how large is the NY Improved? One pic looks large like a Black Beauty, the NY Improved X appears more compact along the lines of a Rosa Bianca? What did you cross it with?
And how would you compare the taste of them to other purple varieties?

As far as my own experience with raising eggplants goes, I've had zero success raising them in the ground. Containers are a must for short season growing, at least for me. I tried again this year to put an Italian (Violina Lunga) variety in the garden. The plants are still struggling to grow. Yet the two varieties I have in containers (Applegreen and Sicilian) are bursting with blooms and fruit.
Part of the problem with the ones in the ground could be a shortage of sunlight hours due to surrounding trees. Again, containers make it possible to go where the sun goes.

Last edited by bluelacedredhead; July 20, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2010   #24
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

My theory on container gardening is that you get much more heat at the root area - I've grown them here in good sun in the soil and they don't yield nearly as much as when grown in pots.

I have no idea what the NY Improved crossed with...though it is something with a dark calyx, I am sure! Will have to see what its neighbors were that year!
Old July 20, 2010   #25
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
My theory on container gardening is that you get much more heat at the root area - I've grown them here in good sun in the soil and they don't yield nearly as much as when grown in pots.

I have no idea what the NY Improved crossed with...though it is something with a dark calyx, I am sure! Will have to see what its neighbors were that year!
Well if you find eggplants more productive even in a climate as warm as N.C., then I'm convinced. No more wasting valuable garden space. It's containers from now on for me.
Old July 23, 2010   #26
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Eggplant video update -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQbVv1IH7xg
Old July 25, 2010   #27
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for taking the time to make a video NC. Very
Old July 28, 2010   #28
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
First pickings today, 43 days from transplant! Pictured are two that came in as expected (Casper, Neon), and two surprises - Apple Green (looking instead like a large Kermit! This is clearly a hybrid), and a Casper cross (lovely black purple version). The normal Casper has a pure green stem; I noticed in my seedling set that 1 or 2 had purplish stems - and this is what arose!

All four went in to our first Ratatouille of the year (yum!). They were tender and mild - the flesh color of the Casper Cross was very pale green, and the other three had very white flesh.
the black casper looks more like those japanese eggplants. . i have a kermit hybrid too but unlike your Apple green, it is elongated.

this is one beautiful eggplant.

pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2010   #29
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Craig:

Nice looking, plump fruit on your eggplants!