Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 6, 2010   #16
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I grew a couple of Malagueta plants this year and thought for a while that I had gotten some kind of decorative plant by mistake. They make beautiful plants and when loaded with the small fiery peppers they look even better.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2010   #17
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

in my point of view... any pepper plant that is loaded with pods (ripe and unripe) can be very ornamental...
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2010   #18
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Agreed! To me, most of the 'miniature' pepper plants reach a point where the pods become so abundant that they obscure the leaves. Though the peppers are usually tiny in size, they are seldom tiny in flavor or heat. They grow very well in small pots, and can fit in nicely anywhere,

As I've often said: If it weren't for the tomatoes and peppers, gardening would just be a chore.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2010   #19
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

Other than Spectral, does anyone have any comments on which decorative peppers are edible?

I want to put in an edible landscape front bed for my sister, and she loves to make salsa.
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2010   #20
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Pretty in Purple is very edible. Flavor and heat is similar to a serrano.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2010   #21
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestKrim View Post
Other than Spectral, does anyone have any comments on which decorative peppers are edible?
I grew a mini red bell pepper this year that was very sweet and decorative, about an inch and a half with no seeds. In a 5-gal. pot, the plant was less than 2 ft. high. I don't know the exact name, though. I got the plant at a plant exchange. Google turns up every variation of the name, sometimes with Belle instead of Bell: Red Mini Bell, Red Bell Mini, Bell Red Mini, Mini Red Bell, Mini Bell Red, Bell Mini Red.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2010   #22
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

my fish now showing its variegated leaves and my black pearl plantling..

Old October 20, 2010   #23
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

those are mighty pretty pinakbet. jealous of that black pearl. lol.
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2011   #24
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

oh well... This was supposed to be a Purira but the pods skipped the "purple" stage, instead it turned orange immediately after the light yellow phase.

I just hope this pepper still tastes good just like what the internet claims..

Old March 28, 2011   #25
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

my black pear finally have pods
Old March 28, 2011   #26
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Purira usually doesn't go ALL purple so I wouldn't worry about it. It just gets some varied purple striping kind of like the black that Jalapeños can get.

The first time I grew it, for some reason I thought it was a fairly mild pepper. No worse than a Jalapeño. I took a bite out of one while I was giving someone a tour of the garden and immediately got the worst case of the hick-ups.

Purira isn't the hottest pepper around, but definitely is hotter than the average Jalapeño. I won't comment on flavor because that was long enough ago that I was still getting used to heat and wasn't able to distinguish flavors from the hotter chiles then. I'm better with some of them now, but haven't grown many of the unusual varieties lately.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011   #27
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Purira usually doesn't go ALL purple so I wouldn't worry about it. It just gets some varied purple striping kind of like the black that Jalapeños can get.

The first time I grew it, for some reason I thought it was a fairly mild pepper. No worse than a Jalapeño. I took a bite out of one while I was giving someone a tour of the garden and immediately got the worst case of the hick-ups.

Purira isn't the hottest pepper around, but definitely is hotter than the average Jalapeño. I won't comment on flavor because that was long enough ago that I was still getting used to heat and wasn't able to distinguish flavors from the hotter chiles then. I'm better with some of them now, but haven't grown many of the unusual varieties lately.

Carol
Yeah i noticed that not all pods turns purple. I only have a few pods that acquired purple pigments then turned into orange then red..

I agree purira is hot and doesn't taste much better compared to other ornamentals..
Old April 11, 2011   #28
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

I planted 2 fish peppers in my flower bed at the front entrance of my house a few years ago. They were beautiful and then I used the peppers to add some heat to my salsa that I canned. It turned out great.

I'd be interested to learn more about different seasoning peppers. My husband is from Puerto Rico and loves the flavor of Aji Dulce in cooking. I grew Rocotillo a few years ago. I just hate having to seed so many little peppers when I make sofrito.

Tyffanie
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2011   #29
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I started growing the puerto rican aji dulce and culantro after buying a cookbook by daisy martinez....yummy.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2011   #30
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurley View Post
I started growing the puerto rican aji dulce and culantro after buying a cookbook by daisy martinez....yummy.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
How do you grow your Culantro? I tried growing some indoors and they were really small, hardly worth the effort.
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote