Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 9, 2014   #16
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Found the photos for one shed roofing job.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HIJGI 15 November 2010 Roofing Garden Shed
The shingles were much deteriorated on the small 6 by 8 foot garden shed. It was decided to replace with Suntuf panels to improved the lighting. The hardware store only had two clear panels so two colored panels were selected in lieu. There are two sheds in the garden area, and this shed was inherited, when the property was purchased. It is small but structurally sound, and is used for the hand garden tools. Suntuf panels last as long as shingles, and improve the lighting inside the shed. The top surface of the small attached fuel box was also replaced, with rough pine boards (1 X 12 x 6 feet). Pictures depict the process.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2014   #17
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Durgan, Isn't "wavy paneling" the same thing as Suntuf? or you are saying the Suntuf-brand material is head and shoulders above all clear roofing?
The wavy stuff to which I refer is almost a sine wave in appearance from viewing at the end. Palruf is one name. It is useless over time.The purlins are different shape than for the suntuf. This sheeting is also about a third cheaper than the desired suntuf.
Old February 9, 2014   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Durgan
My roof has a few years left on it, when I bought the house the owner had to put on a new roof.
At the time I wish I had of paid the extra money it would have cost and put on a metal roof.
But the house wasn't closed yet so I had to go with what they did.

We had rain gutters installed and a nosy person said the color didn't match the house.
She said the same thing when I had the terracotta colored driveway put in.
I told her the house and roof was going to change color.
Going with the Mediterranean look with earth tones.

Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2014   #19
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Durgan I think you did a really nice job on the green house.
Very similar to the way I am going to construct mine.

I glad Neena was there to keep you moving or the job would never been completed.

Very nice indeed.

How well does the roof shed water with the 1 and 12 pitch?

Worth
The pitch 1 in 12 is just fine. I was concerned about snow load and it has survived three winters so far. I made it 12 feet so one 2 foot wide panel could be used, when installing the roof.

I enclosed the side that gets little Sun. Good ventilation is very important, hence the two doors. A neighbor gave me the doors, which can be an additional cost. Costs can add up quickly. The screws are expensive, and the sponge purlin material is not cheap. I only use mine for starting seeds. I heat it with natural gas (10,000 BTU)and can prevent freezing when outside temperature is as low as minus 15 C. Even then the plants must be kept from being too close to the outside walls. I also place the seedling trays on a heating pad in some cases.
Old February 9, 2014   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
The wavy stuff to which I refer is almost a sine wave in appearance from viewing at the end. Palruf is one name. It is useless over time.The purlins are different shape than for the suntuf. This sheeting is also about a third cheaper than the desired suntuf.
Think ruffles potato chips.

Sine wave for AC electrical current where the flow of electricity goes from positive to negative at 60 times a second in the US and 50 times a second in Europe.
Otherwise known as hertz or frequency.

Worth
Old February 9, 2014   #21
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?EXOGW 31 March 2008 Lexan Greenhouse

Original first greenhouse. I didn't get muh use from it, since I moved shortly after building. It was expensive around 3 grand mostly due to my ignorance. I eventually installed a wood stove for heating, which was excellent. But I learned a lot from rthe experience.
Old February 9, 2014   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
The pitch 1 in 12 is just fine. I was concerned about snow load and it has survived three winters so far. I made it 12 feet so one 2 foot wide panel could be used, when installing the roof.

I enclosed the side that gets little Sun. Good ventilation is very important, hence the two doors. A neighbor gave me the doors, which can be an additional cost. Costs can add up quickly. The screws are expensive, and the sponge purlin material is not cheap. I only use mine for starting seeds. I heat it with natural gas (10,000 BTU)and can prevent freezing when outside temperature is as low as minus 15 C. Even then the plants must be kept from being too close to the outside walls. I also place the seedling trays on a heating pad in some cases.
I will just build the doors from Douglas Fir, I have everything to do it and used to build doors in another life.
A few years ago a good friend of mine and myself did all of the wood work in this old court house.
I ran the moulder and built the doors with him.
It was a restore job and what couldn't be salvaged had to be replaced.
Paul passed away a few years ago after many years in a wheel chair from a car wreck.
His father is the one that taught me wood working.

Well here it is the Denton county court house and our handy work.

Worth