Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 17, 2010   #1
michelle8
Tomatovillian™

Default ? tomato plants that aren't what they're supposed to be

I received seeds from many kind people this year. Unfortunately, I didn't label as to who gave me what seeds. Now I am wishing I had.

I have a Kentucky Wonder and a Stump of the World that are both regular leaf. I am assuming that means that I really don't have those particular plants, right? I am assuming that there will be little chance to figure out what type of tomato they are?

Thank you for looking at my thread and helping me out.
Michelle
michelle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle8 View Post
I received seeds from many kind people this year. Unfortunately, I didn't label as to who gave me what seeds. Now I am wishing I had.

I have a Kentucky Wonder and a Stump of the World that are both regular leaf. I am assuming that means that I really don't have those particular plants, right? I am assuming that there will be little chance to figure out what type of tomato they are?

Thank you for looking at my thread and helping me out.
Michelle
Michelle, if the leaf form isn't right in a seedling then there is the possibility that the variety you think you have isn't. Even if a variety is RL, as it should be, it could be cross pollinated with another RL but you have to wait to see if the fruits conform to the variety you think you have.

I know that lots of folks love to trade seeds but I'm not one of them unless someone kindly sends me seeds for a variety that has not been distributed outside of a family, and then I offer seeds in return.

I don't call it really trading but there are several folks I've known for close to 20 years, most are SSE friends, and we send each other the best of our growouts for a given season.

I started posting about gardening, and tomatoes especially in 1989 and have read/posted at several sites and online feedback has convinced me that there's a higher incidence of wrong seeds and crossed seeds when trading occurs as opposed to the incidence one might find at the better seed sources.

Just my opinion, based on a lot of years of reading feedback online.
Old May 18, 2010   #3
michelle8
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Thank you for replying. I can understand( and accept) that "traded" seeds have a higher percentage of being crossed.

I also figured that I don't have what I think I have. I was really looking for confirmation, which you gave. Thank you.

I'll keep this updated so you can see what actually grows out.

Michelle
michelle8 is offline   Reply With Quote