Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2006   #1
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Default Is Snow White cherry really an OP ?

I got my seeds as a freebie from TGS a year or two ago and gave all of the seedlings away the first year, as I am not really a cherry fan. I got such rave reviews on them, that I did keep some to grow out last year, and saved seeds from them.

So this year, I germinated my saved seeds and as I was preparing a description sheet to send along with my give-aways, I checked the TGS catalog for their description. About half-way down the paragraph it says "This variety was hybridized by Joe Bratka and seed was given to us by a local friend who obtained it years ago in a seed swap."

It is not listed with hybrid in it's name as are the other hybrids in the catalog. Is this a typo, and they meant to say Joe de-hybridized it? Or did the "local friends" de-hybridize it? It's all rather unclear, and I just want to be able to tell my plant recipients if they may get something other than what they are expecting.

I see no plain Snow White listed in this year's Seed Saver's year book, though there is a Super Snow White.

Dee
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Dee,

Snow White is OP. Joe bred many varieties such as Isis Candy, and all the so called white ones such as Snow White, Super Snow White, Ghost and Rabbit, all of which are pretty much the same, and he always dehybridized them himself before sending them out.

The info you cite at TGS is from me to Linda.

Look on page 420 in your 2006 SSE Yearbook, lower left, under the heading Cherry, Snow White, and you'll see the listings for Snow White.

Actually it was b'c of Snow White that I became acquainted with Joe personally. That is, I was given seeds for it many many years ago, was hesitant to sow seeds b'c of a concern that it may be a L.pimpinellifolium, ie currant variety, was given info on how to contact him to ask, and that's how we first met, via the phone.
Old May 20, 2006   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Carolyn!

For some reason, I never thought to look under "Cherry" first, in the Other Color section. Now that you mention it, I should have caught it! This is my first year to get the yearbook, so I have not had a chance to spend a lot of hours just reading it. So many tempting choices! Snow White has become a favorite of my friends, they love that sweet fruity burst of flavor it gives.

Dee
Old May 21, 2006   #4
bully
Tomatovillian™

Just want to pop in real quick and say that I am a fan of Snow White as well..I liked it a lot better than Black Cherry
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006   #5
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

ditto what bully said

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006   #6
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

ditto what MsCowpea said...
Old May 23, 2006   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Alert

I am not dittoing, if that's even a word.

I like the variety Dr. Carolyn much better than Snow White b'c the former derives from Galina's Yellow and thus has more flavor, as far as I'm concerned.

Do I like it b'c it has my name attached to it? Of course not for I didn't even name it although I found it.

And I also love Black Cherry.

I do hope my above comments weren't too subtle.
Old May 23, 2006   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I had already decided to give Dr. Carolyn (the cherry!) a try next year, and am glad to hear you give it a good recommendation.

However, I did not at all care for the Black Cherry I grew in a whiskey barrel last year. I am giving it one last chance this time, in real garden dirt, hoping that may perk up the blah taste that it had.

Then again, I did not care for the Cherokee Purple that I tried only one year, and the majority of folks rave about that. (Prudens Purple is my Must Grow, and has been since I first tried it. )

Dee
Old May 23, 2006   #9
Denise_in_MI
Tomatovillian™

I didn't care for Snow White last year, but my DH did. I thought that they tasted a bit to the rancid side. Couldn't get the taste out of my mouth. (Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone.)

Hubby thought they were very good and grabbed handfulls of them as he went to play in the garage.
Old May 24, 2006   #10
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

I bought seed for Snowwhite last year from TGS. I ended up with two kinds of cherries. White smaller one and larger nice yellow one. Both okay in taste. I saved seed from both and am trying them this year to see if they held variety.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006   #11
domoarimato
Tomatovillian™

"Do I like it because it has my name attatched to it? Of course for I didn't even name it even though I found it." Tell the truth now Mrs. C... You and ol' Steve Draper are sharing royalties off of every pack of Dr. Carolyn that gets sold, no? (insert evil laugh here) Just razzing you dear lady!-Bri whom prefers the pink version of Dr. Carolyn to the whit, and Galinas over both!!!
domoarimato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsander
"Do I like it because it has my name attatched to it? Of course for I didn't even name it even though I found it." Tell the truth now Mrs. C... You and ol' Steve Draper are sharing royalties off of every pack of Dr. Carolyn that gets sold, no? (insert evil laugh here) Just razzing you dear lady!-Bri whom prefers the pink version of Dr. Carolyn to the whit, and Galinas over both!!!
Brian, dearest, you have no idea how much I've missed your gentle comments, your so very subtle obervations, your deep concern for my monetary situation, well, it's just the whole package of YOU.
Old May 28, 2006   #13
domoarimato
Tomatovillian™

Likewise, m'lady!
domoarimato is offline   Reply With Quote