Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 22, 2014   #1
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Default Red Rose

Anyone have experience with this one? I didn't find much discussion here or anywhere else. It's the freebie from TGS at the moment.

"This cross between Brandywine and Rutgers produces good yields of 6 to 10 oz. delicious dark pink fruit. Disease and crack-resistance are inherited from Rutgers, and the tomato's taste and texture is more like that of Brandywine. Indeterminate. 85 days."

I can't pass up free seeds!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Anyone have experience with this one? I didn't find much discussion here or anywhere else. It's the freebie from TGS at the moment.

"This cross between Brandywine and Rutgers produces good yields of 6 to 10 oz. delicious dark pink fruit. Disease and crack-resistance are inherited from Rutgers, and the tomato's taste and texture is more like that of Brandywine. Indeterminate. 85 days."

I can't pass up free seeds!
Chris,I just happen to have the link for that variety in my faves:

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/RED-ROSE/productinfo/5818/

Looking at a few past SSE Yearbooks I find that all who have grown it speak well of it.

Looking at a Google search you'll see that it's been around for quite a few years. Tania has no additional info, just seed availability.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Red+Rose+tomato

Carolyn, who has not grown it and hopes that someone here has grown it and can speak from personal experience.
Old December 22, 2014   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

The two reviewers at Dave's Garden were negative about it!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #4
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

I've grown red rose for quite a few years and it has been one of my most reliable producers here in
CO. Not the largest but very good flavor and nice shape and color. One of my best sellers at my farm stand.

Marcus
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #5
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

My Red Rose plant produced poorly and tasted kind of bland to me. However, the tomatoes were quite lovely, at least! It was not in a prime spot in my garden, however, so that may be why it didn't do so well. Or it doesn't like PA. Who knows? I hope you have better success in your neck of the woods.
Old December 22, 2014   #6
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato Beth View Post
My Red Rose plant produced poorly and tasted kind of bland to me. However, the tomatoes were quite lovely, at least! It was not in a prime spot in my garden, however, so that may be why it didn't do so well. Or it doesn't like PA. Who knows? I hope you have better success in your neck of the woods.
A lack of potassium in the growing medium will usually result in poor quality tomatoes, while an excess of potassium (difficult to achieve for organic growers) will result in a few, poor tomatoes. Getting the Nitrogen-Potassium balance is important for most fruiting plants. Your goal is 1 part net Nitrogen (by weight) per 1.5 part net Potassium (by weight). An organic grower can typically achieve this by adding 1 cup real wood ash per 5 gallons of soil mix.

Best wishes and happy holidays!
Old December 23, 2014   #7
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

That may be part of my problem. We have a lot of potassium compared to nitrogen when I tested our soil. We've been amending it the last couple years with organic items and good compost so it's getting better. In that particular bed, I think it got shaded a bit by a bale of hay sitting at the edge of the bed when it was a little plant, so it didn't take off as quickly as the other plants did. I think the poor little runt was trying to fight for nutrients and sun the whole summer as a result. The rest of the tomatoes in that bed did quite well.

I use the Park seed bio-sponges in the biodome to start my seeds--I've had tremendous success with those. Now that I know how to start seeds well, I might 'graduate' to regular starting mix to cut my costs, but with a near 100% success rate it's hard to give them up.
Old December 23, 2014   #8
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

If folks have had mixed results, maybe the cross was distributed before it was fully stabilized? I'd try again with seed from someone who liked it! (Disclaimer- I haven't grown it either.)
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2014   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
If folks have had mixed results, maybe the cross was distributed before it was fully stabilized? I'd try again with seed from someone who liked it! (Disclaimer- I haven't grown it either.)
I just pulled the 1993 SSE YEarbook from the pile of yearbooks on the floor to my left and it was listed way back then, and said to be a deliberate cross by an amateur breeder and the name I often see in various yearbooks is a Stewart from Claverack, NY.

So no, I think is was fully stabilized almost 20 years ago before it was SSE listed.

Folks having mixed results with a specific variety? For sure, it happens all the time with both OP's and hybrids and depends on many variables such as which season, the weather in that season, how grown, amendments used, what is the soil like, and on and on.

Summary? Stuff happens.

Carolyn
Old December 23, 2014   #10
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like it will be a good one to start a flat of to give away.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old December 23, 2014   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's free. If you have a place to plant it - never hurts to give it a try. When we grow a variety that turns out that none of us like it - it gets tossed into the compost bin.

No, I have not grown Red Rose tomatoes.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2014   #12
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

There's the rub. At this point it's a zero sum game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
If you have a place to plant it

Old December 23, 2014   #13
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'm just glad it's called Red Rose. For years, people labeled it as Rose. The true Rose, to me a superb tomato, should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as Red...
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2014   #14
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I've read all I can about Red Rose, and think that Rose would be a better choice.

Hoping to get my hands on some seeds for Rose one of these days!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote