Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 30, 2014   #1
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Default soil test lab results

Been a while since posting here. new job, move to new home, yada yada. still the same garden and here is rutgers soil test results from september.

I welcome thoughts on Rutgers recommendations as well as recommendations of your own.

Looking forward to hearing from you all and happy holidays and new year!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SOIL.pdf (597.7 KB, 65 views)

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2014   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

As long as you submitted a proper sampling, I'd follow Rutgers recommendations....they know tomatoes and your area better than most.

I also recommend you tear down the new home, live in a tent, and plant lots more tomatoes. The reduced taxes will enable you to buy more tomato seeds and supplies
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2014   #3
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yeah I would follow what they say.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2014   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

From what I can see you have excellent soil. Just about perfect. Next step is to determine if you want input based nitrogen or biological based nitrogen?

For a biological solution try: http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/...uble-1-oz.html in a no till system with companion plants and off season cover crops.

For an input system most organic ferts will be sufficient. 2-0-1 is pretty easy to obtain just from worm castings, fish emulsion or similar.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2014   #5
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
From what I can see you have excellent soil. Just about perfect. Next step is to determine if you want input based nitrogen or biological based nitrogen?

For a biological solution try: http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/...uble-1-oz.html in a no till system with companion plants and off season cover crops.

For an input system most organic ferts will be sufficient. 2-0-1 is pretty easy to obtain just from worm castings, fish emulsion or similar.
Or just compost would seem to be in order. And yes. excellent soil. Is this native soil or a raised bed? if native I'm moving to Jersey!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2014   #6
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

This is a 20x20 raised bed thats been worked with leaf mold and grass clippings for about 25 years. The last 3 years I've used hay or wood chip mulch which has been turned in every fall. I also lucked in to some rabbit manure. About 6 20gal rubbermaid totes were added

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2015   #7
SteveS
Tomatovillian™

The only things I am surprised by are the high levels of Ca, Mg & Fe.
I had read Michael Astera 's book over the Summer.
At the end of this past growing season I got a soil test done.
So I am comparing my test to yours.
I know, completely different areas of the country, but the differences are striking.
How do you think you got those elements so high, did you add some unusual amendments?
One recommendation you might consider, Astera suggests micronutrient application such as Azomite each year at 5 lb/1000 sq ft.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote