Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 8, 2015   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Trying Beduin this year

Going through my older seeds, found a pack of Beduin that I have never tried. Does anyone like this one? It was commented on extensively about two years ago, became a fad, and then disappeared.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2015   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying Bedouin from J & L Gardens this year. It doesn't look the same as the Beduin on Tania's site. Bedouin looks very similar to Japanese Black Trifele. Tania doesn't have a "Bedouin".

http://jandlgardens.com/catalog/inde...eyword=bedouin
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2015   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Boosting this back up - hoping to get more information about what to expect.
Old January 16, 2015   #4
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Beduin (or Bedouin) has got blackish-red pear shaped fruit (80-300 g) like at J & L photo and bigger.
There are some irregular shaped fruit as well. Prolific. Russian CV

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I grew Bedouin years ago its easily got a high spot on my top 10. Highly productive and shrugged off disease and heat. Ironically all the seeds I started ended up in my mystery box to the garden club ladies so it was absent form my garden last summer. Imagine my surprise when someone actually brought a tomato to one of the late summer meetings and requested I grow it for the plant exchange next year. Another lady that received it chimed in wanting it again too. Then a third ... hopefully with better labeling so I get at least one.

Why this particular tomato? It has a great rich flavor and the grower made a terrific tomato juice and canned several quarts. I use it for fresh eating (yummy on a blt, holds that deep flavor coming thru the bacon) and making sauce. Its also a really beautiful plant in the garden.

My seeds were from Lee, and tomatoes look browner than the picture above. All were large and pear shaped.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; January 17, 2015 at 05:54 AM. Reason: oy vey, spelling of tomato name was and might still be incorrect
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #6
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all who answered - this one looks exciting. I cannot find a smaller black tomato that produces well here in Atlanta, so maybe this is the one.
Old January 17, 2015   #7
natural
Tomatovillian™

Scott,

I am 45 minutes north of you.

Over the years, I have had the most success with Black Pear, Sara Black (mine average 6oz), and Japense Trifele Black, in that order.

I haven't grown Beduin.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #8
Garf
Tomatovillian™

I would be very interested to see if this would survive a Miami summer. Very few do.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Yaponskiy Tryuffel Chornyi (Japanese Trifele Black) is an excellent Russian CV as well.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old January 18, 2015   #10
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I like Japanese Trifele Black a lot for its flavor, but I have not had high production from it. It does not set well in high temps, at least for me.
Old January 18, 2015   #11
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

That's because it is for cool climates mostly like where it was invented (St.Peterburg, Russia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I like Japanese Trifele Black a lot for its flavor, but I have not had high production from it. It does not set well in high temps, at least for me.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old March 3, 2016   #12
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf View Post
I would be very interested to see if this would survive a Miami summer. Very few do.
You might try high anthocyanin tomatoes in Miami (especially the ones where the anthocyanin is in the leaves, too). These tomatoes should reflect UV rays better. Miami has perhaps the highest UV index in the country (or pretty close). UV rays can damage plants (and make them more nutritious, too). So, if you try blue tomatoes, they should reflect more of the UV rays instead of being damaged by them all.

Lucid Gem might be a good choice, since it's also heat-tolerant. I'm not sure if it gets the color in the leaves, too, though.

I'm not sure if 'black' tomatoes are any better at reflecting UV rays, though, but blue ones should be.

I'm not sure what other blue tomatoes are heat-tolerant (and which ones have coloring on the leaves), but you might experiment with Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blues, Jackie, Fahrenheit Blues, Black Beauty, Dancing with Smurfs, and others.

Last edited by shule1; March 3, 2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old August 5, 2016   #13
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf View Post
It's a million degrees here and this is doing great. I'd give it a try in Miami.

I'm getting a lot of doubles. This didn't happen last year. Twice the yum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bedoin Aug 5 2016 backyard.JPG (96.3 KB, 57 views)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2016   #14
Garf
Tomatovillian™

I tried it. It did not do well in Miami.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote