Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 31, 2015   #16
imp
Tomatovillian™

New and possibly silly question, but what exactly does "rin" mean?

Added:

And "nor"?

Last edited by imp; December 31, 2015 at 01:10 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2015   #17
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

"rin" is a mutation that partially blocks ripening

"nor" is too

They have similar, but distinct phenotypes.

The Frogsleap Farm blog has a great post about both.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2015   #18
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
"rin" is a mutation that partially blocks ripening

"nor" is too

They have similar, but distinct phenotypes.

The Frogsleap Farm blog has a great post about both.

Thank you!

I know nothing about tomato breeding, but if you wanted to talk dogs or cows or horses....I can get you covered mostly, LOL!!

I want to learn more about tomato breeding, not so much to do that, but simply to know. Tickles my curiosity spot.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2015   #19
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

"rin" stands for "ripening inhibitor" http://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/Data/Acc/Gen....aspx?Gene=rin

"nor" stands for "non-ripening" http://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/Data/Acc/Gen....aspx?Gene=nor

Many commercial hybrids use one or the other or both of these genes to retard ripening in order to extend shelf life of commercial tomatoes. In an F1, the gene(s) is only partly expressed which has the effect of significantly extending shelf life of an otherwise normal red tomato.

Sandhill has Giraffe along with several other slow-ripening varieties. http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/tomato.html

I suggest looking at Yellow Out Red In if interested in a keeping variety. Also, Piennolo is a decent storage tomato though it does not have a ripening inhibitor gene.

Last edited by Fusion_power; December 31, 2015 at 07:08 PM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2016   #20
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

"Fried Green" and "Granny Smith" are clearly NOT the same. The plants are very different and the fruits are very different. They are also certainly listed as separate varieties by Reimer Seeds.

So, I am curious as to why you assumed they were different?

This reminds me of when Craig assumed that Maglia Rosa and Pink Tiger were the same, and that I had re-named one or the other.

I think one should have pretty good evidence that something has been re-named, before an assumption is made.

One reason for following up on this "question" is that a small company (Seeds By Design) made Fried Green Tomato F1, and I think they should be congratulated for making a completely unique product.

One final note, Fried Green Tomato is excellent raw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I have grown Granny Smith F1 and it apears to be the same as Fried Green Tomato F1

And no it didn't taste good at all when raw and most used it for fried green tomatoes, for which it was bred, as well as for salsa's, etc. I think it was bred by Petoseeds and available very much earlier than the one you are asking about.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gran..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

Carolyn

Last edited by Fred Hempel; August 7, 2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old August 7, 2016   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Carolyn,

"Fried Green" and "Granny Smith" are clearly NOT the same. The plants are very different and the fruits are very different. They are also certainly listed as separate varieties by Reimer Seeds.

So, I am curious as to why you assumed they were different?

This reminds me of when Craig assumed that Maglia Rosa and Pink Tiger were the same, and that I had re-named one or the other.

I think one should have pretty good evidence that something has been re-named, before an assumption is made.

One reason for following up on this "question" is that a small company (Seeds By Design) made Fried Green Tomato F1, and I think they should be congratulated for making a completely unique product.

One final note, Fried Green Tomato is excellent raw.
In my post above I said that Fried Green F1 and Granny Smith F1 appeared to be the same as grown by me,I didn't say they were identical,perhaps I was referring just to usage at the time,which would make sense since both were being used primarily for fried green tomatoes.

Yes,I also know Seeds by Design very well,wholesale only

http://www.seedsbydesign.com/

And I was surprised to see they are still listing a Red Brandywine that is PL,not the true RB, which is RL. Well I remember Gary Ibsen at Tomatofest and Mike Dunton at Victory Seeds getting the PL one,Mike pulled it ASAP,Gary opted to sell it at a discount.

I know many seed vendors buy wholesale from them but I want to ask you how you would compare Seeds by Design with Aaron Whaley's company,disregarding the fact that Aaron also sells retail to individuals for many varieties and not just tomatoes..

Carolyn,who keeps saying she will contact Aaron,since she worked with him for several years as to suggestions as to what growouts they should do and also listings in the Public SSE catalog but hasn't done that yet.Best move he ever made was to move to WI from IA.
Old August 7, 2016   #22
Groundhog
Tomatovillian™

This definitely has me intrigued. I was just recently introduced to “good” fried green tomatoes and fell in love with them but have a hard time sacrificing a pretty tomato.

I don’t totally understand the F1, F2 etc. thing but I’m trying to learn a little as I go along. The seeds at the link in the OP says F1 so my question is, if seeds are saved from next year’s crop and planted the following year, will they be the same tomato?
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2016   #23
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

My impression is that Seeds By Design sells many OP tomato varieties, and develops hybrids that combine "heirloom" and "commercial" traits. But I can't find where they explicitly say that they are the creators of all of the hybrids they sell.

My main impression of the company, at this point, is very positive because I think Fried Green Tomato is great. But I really don't know that much about them otherwise.

Aaron Whaley is focused on OP varieties, but he sells some F1s from a variety of smaller breeders. I have nothing but positive things to say about Aaron. Of course, I am biased because we collaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I know many seed vendors buy wholesale from them but I want to ask you how you would compare Seeds by Design with Aaron Whaley's company,disregarding the fact that Aaron also sells retail to individuals for many varieties and not just tomatoes..
Old August 10, 2016   #24
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Fred, how was production?
Commercially viable for yield?
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2016   #25
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Fried Green F1 production is very good. It is a vigorous, and productive vine.
Old August 10, 2016   #26
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Fred.
Have you tried the Heirloom F1 Hybrids from Seeds By Design?
Like Heirloom Black, Green, Orange, or Flame? Or Brandymaster Pink F1?
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2016   #27
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I have not tried any of those. But, my experience with Fried Green Tomato makes me likely to try them in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Thanks Fred.
Have you tried the Heirloom F1 Hybrids from Seeds By Design?
Like Heirloom Black, Green, Orange, or Flame? Or Brandymaster Pink F1?