Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 9, 2016   #1
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

Default sunsugar volunteer

Hi I have a couple of sunsugar volunteers in my garden this year. Anyone ever grow this out before? I know sunsugar is a hybrid. It is very odd - there are only 2 flowers on the bottom of the plant and the higher up you go the more flowers form. I am used to the number of flowers on the plants being consistent throughout the plant. Real estate is at a premium since I'm on a patio - is it worth it to check out? I have tiny fruit setting so it might still be another month and a half before I get to taste it.
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Worth checking out? Yeah, it's fun to be surprised. I had tasted tomatoes from 2 Sungold volunteers my parents let grow last year. One was orange and quite good, rather similar to the F1. One was red, bigger and was good flavored but thick skinned.

Now if you don't have room and have other known varieties you'd really like to try out maybe then go with those instead. Bottom line is I think it is worth doing, but in your specific situation that's a decision only you can make.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have an F3 Sungold plant producing a lot. It's kind of odd that it is doing so well and that I've lost 2 Sungold F1 plants. Maybe the F3 is more used to growing here in our soil?

I would grow out the Sunsugar F2s too.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #4
SoCalGal
Tomatovillian™

Last year I had two Sungold volunteers, and this year I have one. The two from last year grew out and bore only minimally compared to the original. What was produced was delicious, however. This year's volunteer is growing great with lots of flowers/fruit. The volunteer this year is from an F1 I purchased last year. I guess it's just the luck of the draw?
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

SoCalGal,

I don't know if it is luck or what? Yesterday, I started fermenting some Sungold F4 seeds. The F3s taste good, so why not save the next generation.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Statistically there is a chance to get something like/similar to F1. ( Maybe 1 in 4 ? ).
I have also heard that most SG volunteers get more orange color fruits.

My theory and the way I look at it is that you should get some decent fruits. After all they cross 2 fairly good varieties to get an F1 that is improved in certain features. That should be fine if you are not picky picky to get the exact the same thing. IMO

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #7
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Last year was the 2nd year I've had SG volunteers, and this time none were orange colored, but red grape tomatoes. Taste was Meh, so I pulled them all out as I needed the room. Otherwise I would've kept them. When I had the orange ones I kept them all as they were pretty tasty but not as tasty as the real deal.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2016   #8
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

So I grew a couple of these out and they did taste like sunsugar but they were weeks later. Like 5 or 6 weeks later. I yanked them out. I don't know if it was because they also didn't get the prime spots on the patio. I'll try again with one volunteer next year.
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2016   #9
SoCalGal
Tomatovillian™

Here are a few pictures of one of my Sunsugar volunteers nestled among the bougainvillea:

They taste so sweet and juicy! I got lucky with mine-- I'm going to save some seeds, I think.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote