Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 4, 2021   #1
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Default King humberto tomato

Hello, I am Chef specializing in Wood Fired Pizza. I have been doing some investigation into tomatoes on pizza. I understand that before "San Marzano" tomato was the plum standard- King Umberto or RE Umberto was the standard tomato in the early 1900's.
FYI. The Margherita Pizza was named after his Wife, Queen Margherita de Savoy.

Anyone who can share any information on this variety, I would be very appreciative!

Old Chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2021   #2
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

An interesting discussion about RE Umberto took place in this thread.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...umbert&page=10

I wanted Carolyn's seeds, but I never got them because she had them somewhere in a glass that she didn't have access to. This glass was found in her estate and the seeds from 1994 were sent to me by Shawn. I'll try to germinate them. An interesting link is to Reihart Kraft, with whom I am connected via Facebook. I will try to get seeds from him (if I fail with seed germination from Shawn). I tried to get the seeds through the Italian website Agria, but no one or moderator Emilio, who lives in the area below Vesuvius, promised me anything. I've seen on the web that someone offers seeds for sale, but I don't know if it's really Re Umberto.

Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2021   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Here is an old thread with quite a bit of discussion.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...hlight=humbert

I grew it so long ago I don't remember that much, but the seeds I received had points and were the size of Romas, but juicier and better tasting.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2021   #4
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I regrew Umberto last year from seeds I saved a few years ago, and I got the variety originally from Carolyn. I grew it just so I could resave fresh seeds and not lose the variety. So I've got a few if you'd like them. PM me if interested. I hope Vladimir has success with his awakening efforts; it would be interesting to compare results to determine if mine are like the older ones.
Old March 5, 2021   #5
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Here is an old thread with quite a bit of discussion.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...hlight=humbert

I grew it so long ago I don't remember that much, but the seeds I received had points and were the size of Romas, but juicier and better tasting.
Thank you for this information

Old Chef
Fornino.com
Old March 5, 2021   #6
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
I regrew Umberto last year from seeds I saved a few years ago, and I got the variety originally from Carolyn. I grew it just so I could resave fresh seeds and not lose the variety. So I've got a few if you'd like them. PM me if interested. I hope Vladimir has success with his awakening efforts; it would be interesting to compare results to determine if mine are like the older ones.
PM sent. Thank you
Old March 5, 2021   #7
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

King Humbert is not difficult to find. IIRC, Sandhill Preservation has it. It is also interesting to check out other tomatoes commonly used for pizza such as Piennolo del Vesuvio or one of the drupelet sauce tomatoes such as Christopher Columbus. Going on memory, Lampedusa should be another of iterest.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2021   #8
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
King Humbert is not difficult to find. IIRC, Sandhill Preservation has it. It is also interesting to check out other tomatoes commonly used for pizza such as Piennolo del Vesuvio or one of the drupelet sauce tomatoes such as Christopher Columbus. Going on memory, Lampedusa should be another of iterest.

Thank you, I will look into these. I am familiar with the Piennolo del Vesuvio both red and yellow

Thanks
Ever in NYC. Fornino.com? I will make you the best pizza in your life!!

Michael Ayoub
Old Chef
Old March 23, 2021   #9
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

On here myself looking for the best red sauce tomato. Old Chef, I tried San Marzanos and the ones I grew were not great, so the search continues. BUT..... have you tried Orange Banana? Makes an excellent sauce, orange not red. Remove seeds and gel for a milder flavor. Or leave in for a stronger one. I was making sauce one day from canned OB.s when a local chef stopped in to buy some plants I had outside for sale in the spring. I found out he was a chef and had him taste the sauce I was heating, no seasonings added as yet, and he was amazed at the flavor. He ended up buying all the OB plants I had, around a dozen.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2021   #10
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Today I ran out of seeds and among them King Humbert from 1994. I will not test germination until the second half of April. I don't have a place or time yet.
Vladimír
Old March 31, 2021   #11
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I bought a GA3. It cost a lot of money. Does anyone have experience with its use in the germination of old seeds? How should I proceed?
Vladimír
Old April 1, 2021   #12
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny_j View Post
On here myself looking for the best red sauce tomato. Old Chef, I tried San Marzanos and the ones I grew were not great, so the search continues. BUT..... have you tried Orange Banana? Makes an excellent sauce, orange not red. Remove seeds and gel for a milder flavor. Or leave in for a stronger one. I was making sauce one day from canned OB.s when a local chef stopped in to buy some plants I had outside for sale in the spring. I found out he was a chef and had him taste the sauce I was heating, no seasonings added as yet, and he was amazed at the flavor. He ended up buying all the OB plants I had, around a dozen.
Sounds great, i will look for some seeds. Thanks for the information
Old April 1, 2021   #13
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I'm pretty sure Fedco carries Orange Banana.