Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 11, 2013   #31
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nobody has ever seen such a potato plant as you describe. They simply don't exist. Sort of like the unicorn or philosopher's stone. Never has any meaningful picture been posted anywhere indicating the nonsense propagated by the Seattle Times. People have tried to fudge meaningless photos with a bit of Yankee blarney.
You seem awfully angry about something that you admittedly describe as unprovable.
Just because you have not seen evidence that you would accept as proof does not mean either this is not true, or that evidence does not exist. Lack of evidence for something does not make it false. You're welcome to your opinion on the matter, of course.
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013   #32
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Some people are more difficult to educate than others. Some folks are so smart/highly educated on a subject to have room for new information. I have out over 1,000 TPS from primitive diploid crosses (yes there are diploid potatoes) which will certainly show the traits described above.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013   #33
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

A question for DURGAN.....have you ever seen or worked with diploid potatoe lines? If you have not, please discontinue your blatant bashing of those who have more hands on experience than yourself.
Old May 12, 2013   #34
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
A question for DURGAN.....have you ever seen or worked with diploid potatoe lines? If you have not, please discontinue your blatant bashing of those who have more hands on experience than yourself.
I have no idea what diploid potato lines are. I showed how a potato plant grows in my years of experience and have never seven saw any evidence of vertical growing along the stem.

Please educate me with convincing photos instead of empty rhetoric. I am easy to convince. “No, a proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven.” ~ Jean Chrétien

I will add also. There are few if any photos of TPS potatoes. All have cameras today and it is even easy to post photos or even a heavily laced photographic record of potato production. I am waiting.

Last edited by Durgan; May 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013   #35
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

I will certainly be able to give that proof. I never thought to take pictures of anything but whole plant, flowers, berries,tubers, and tuber interior. I know I should have taken pictures of guicho negro with ALL it's tubers on stolons 4'-6' long, but did not. As for the FEW IF ANY TPS PHOTOS...tatermater★★★★★★★★★ have a number of members putting up photos of tubers from TPS.
Old May 12, 2013   #36
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
Nobody has ever seen such a potato plant as you describe. They simply don't exist. Sort of like the unicorn or philosopher's stone. Never has any meaningful picture been posted anywhere indicating the nonsense propagated by the Seattle Times. People have tried to fudge meaningless photos with a bit of Yankee blarney.
Yankee Blarney? how do you know it isn't Irish or Southern or Canadian blarney??? I'm a Yankee and I am sure I spread no blarney around...surely I am not the only one to question where this blarney stuff comes from. Personally I think it is Irish..
Old May 12, 2013   #37
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I think Blarney is Irish. We Yankees prefer malarky

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013   #38
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
Yes, I think Blarney is Irish. We Yankees prefer malarky
Yeah, I think so too. If you are going to say something you must , at the very least, sound credible for it to be taken seriously.
Old May 13, 2013   #39
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Actually the proper word is blulsiht, but one must be politically correct to sell a product.
Old May 13, 2013   #40
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Durgan, diploid potatoes contain only 2 sets of chromosomes, many landrace/primitive types are diploids. They typically have smaller tubers than tetraploid potatoes (4 sets of chromosomes), which are what almost all common commercially grown types are. They also have a different growth pattern, as they haven't been selectively bred for machine harvesting.

Reminds me of my days as a chef, I talked about trying white beets in a dish instead of sweet Japanese turnips and was ridiculed because everyone knew there were no white beets; that is until I brought some in from my garden the next day. Just because you personally haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't out there.

I won't try to convince you because you've obviously made up your mind that you are right and everyone else is wrong. But some of the folks you're arguing the point with have grown a lot more potato varieties than you.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #41
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
Durgan, diploid potatoes contain only 2 sets of chromosomes, many landrace/primitive types are diploids. They typically have smaller tubers than tetraploid potatoes (4 sets of chromosomes), which are what almost all common commercially grown types are. They also have a different growth pattern, as they haven't been selectively bred for machine harvesting.

Reminds me of my days as a chef, I talked about trying white beets in a dish instead of sweet Japanese turnips and was ridiculed because everyone knew there were no white beets; that is until I brought some in from my garden the next day. Just because you personally haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't out there.

I won't try to convince you because you've obviously made up your mind that you are right and everyone else is wrong. But some of the folks you're arguing the point with have grown a lot more potato varieties than you.
Has anybody ever seen a potato growing like this?
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FABDN Virtual Potato

This is what the carpenters are propagation led by the Seattle Times.
Old May 13, 2013   #42
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Durgan, looking at the copyright, I'd assume you drew that picture? I am growing over 300 varieties of potato this year, along with a few thousand plants from TPS. Some of the TPS contain genetics from stenatomum, phureja, berthalii, andegena, tuberosum as well as multigeneric crosses between them all. The genetic diversity of my plantings alone is STAGGERING. There are others such as TOM WAGNER who will be planting such huge diversity, that it DWARFS mine in comparison. I know you are one of those who are blessed with great knowledge and wisdom far beyond mine, so will bother you no further with my uneducated drivel........
Old May 13, 2013   #43
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

If that picture was a diploid, long season potato, and it was buried regularly until only the top 8-12" of it was exposed, then maybe it might get layers of potatoes. But not with the whole things exposed to the air, never. That looks like a tree, not a potato plant. And if you've grown potatoes like you say you have, you would know that buried leaves don't stay leaves.
Old May 13, 2013   #44
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

NathanP,
Are you trying to get vertical growing tubers? I will make sure to notice that this year and maybe I can send you some I see as potential candidates next year?. You are not too far from me, I have CIP396256 that could be a good candidate....I could send you one. IF interested in documenting the results send me a PM
Old May 13, 2013   #45
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

How is this for documentation?

Ha. I can't get it to show my picture...