Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2020   #1
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Default Waterlogged tomatoes

I garden in community plots and start early using WOW.
This year did not go well. First late polar vortex frost got some.
Couple days later flood started. Even that I garden in raised beds the area went into lake and just finally drained after week.
Tomatoes looked not healthy with all rainbow colors so I foliar fed twice in last week. Also sprinkled ammonia calcium nitrate, epsom salt and MAP around each plant.
Soil is heavy and stinks.
Anything else I could do to give them better chance of recovery?
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2020   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

When I've had flooding conditions from too much rain with Tomato plants, the plants would first show the signs of Nitrogen and Phosphorus deficiency. When the roots are drowning, there's lack of Oxygen and taking up nutrients is near impossible until the soil dries up enough. The stench is the byproduct of anaerobic microorganisms which are the only ones that can thrive and dominate under those low oxygen conditions. If the problem persists too long there will root damage (root rot) and stunting.
I remember digging up a few transplants in the worse conditions and transplanting them into containers and nursing them back to health.
You've probably done all you can do at this point, since the water has drained away hopefully the soil balance can return normal fast enough for the plants to recover. You could try loosening the soil around the root zones to allow air to penetrate to the roots.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2020   #3
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Ray, thank you!
I will loosen the soil.
Old May 28, 2020   #4
dshreter
Tomatovillian™

Also make sure you don’t give the plant whiplash. The roots are likely damaged and need time to recover, and will also do especially poorly if the soil is to completely dry out. That can kill the plant very quickly, so make sure the soil is watered eventually to stay slightly moist.

I’ve never tried using mycorrhizae during a season, but if you will be carefully loosening the soil, you could considering adding mycorrhizae to stimulate root growth.
dshreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2020   #5
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for suggestion! I made holes and was watering according to how fast hole gets drained.
Seems to be returning to normal now.