Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 14, 2018   #16
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

TomatoDon, if your daily temps are already around 65F, your plants would be much better off outside than in a 100F greenhouse. You might as well just harden them off now, putting them in the greenhouse at night for cold protection, if you want. Seedlings grown outside in sunny 60F temps will be stocky and healthy - no need for a greenhouse.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #17
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I've tried that before and all it takes is one cat or dog to damage or destroy the whole operation. I've also done that and come home to find we've had a thunderstorm that's washed the soil out of the cells and ruined everything.

I think growing inside under lights is the best way for me.
Old April 14, 2018   #18
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I understand! We all have different challenging conditions in our various zones! Including our romping, stomping doggy friends. Sounds like it would be the least worry and stress for you to just keep growing them inside!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #19
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I visited some tomato-seedling-growing Amish friends today and toured their home-made greenhouses. I told them about my dismal greenhouse experiment and they talked at length about the difficulty even they have at keeping temps and moisture stable. Of course, they have a lot of children to help, but they have to monitor their houses repeatedly every day to open and close windows and re-kindle or choke off the wood burning heater. I think they even have to go out in the middle of the coldest nights and add more wood to the big stove. I can't stay close by enough to monitor the greenhouse all day, and to add climate control would be cost prohibitive. I also decided -- actually re-affirmed my long-standing belief -- that I can but good seedlings from the Amish cheaper than I can grow them myself.

Another reason in favor of me growing inside under lights from now on.
Old April 19, 2018   #20
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

TomatoDon... Im kinda late to your question, but if I can chime in, keeping in mind, I aint no expert.

I have grown thousands of seedlings. This year I have grown more then ever. Unless you have a way to control the environmentals, such as Heat/AC AND humidity, just start them under the lights.

I start mine under the lights and as soon as they pop up (or at least 50%) then they go out under the plastic.

Just my 2 cents.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #21
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I have started putting my old system back together again and it works much better. I can do over 500 seedlings just in this small space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grow lights.jpg (80.7 KB, 30 views)
Old April 20, 2018   #22
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Looks good Don. Similar to my setups. In my climate and living conditions, I've always done much growing inside until ready to plant. Maximum control for the least effort until going outside -then all h**l breaks loose.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote