Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 7, 2012   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet peppers getting destroyed

I don't know whether it is birds, squirrels or something else but something is eating up almost all of my sweet peppers. My plants are producing like crazy but something is eating the peppers up before I can pick them and I'm not talking about just a little hole pecked in them. Almost the whole pepper is being consumed. It is now so bad that I am only finding one or two peppers every few days that are uneaten when I should be picking between a dozen or two ever few days.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2012   #2
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I don't know whether it is birds, squirrels or something else but something is eating up almost all of my sweet peppers. My plants are producing like crazy but something is eating the peppers up before I can pick them and I'm not talking about just a little hole pecked in them. Almost the whole pepper is being consumed. It is now so bad that I am only finding one or two peppers every few days that are uneaten when I should be picking between a dozen or two ever few days.
I can't imagibe birds eating them that way. I would expect squirrels to chew them off and try to carry them away (it's in their nature) but I guess they could just eat them in place. Deer possibly?

Perhaps a water scarecrow could help?

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2012   #3
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

in my experience deer will generally eat the whole plant. i would suspect a raccoon were it occurring in my area. foxes have also been known to like sweet corn so i would see them as a possible sweet pepper consumer as well. trapping is our go-to deterrent for either around here.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2012   #4
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Possibly rats, or even possum. Check at night.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote